Quick humidity solution wanted please

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chickedydoodaa, Feb 23, 2009.

1. chickedydoodaa

chickedydoodaa Taking a break

Feb 8, 2009
    Philadelphia PA
    Hi guys

My eggs are on day 18

I have been trying to get my hovabator 1620N up to a stable 70% humidity. I filled the two trays as the directions say, I also have 3 sponges in there (one is in an additional plastic tub soaking in shallow water) the humidity still only reads 64%, oddly enough I left the house for two hours earlier and when I got home it was up to 76%, I have been trying to stabilize it for the last 4 hours and it is not budging.

If any of you have any experience with the hovabator 1620N and have some tips for me that would be wonderful.

thank you

2. jj ranch

jj ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2009
    i had same issue with mine (same as yours) i put small butter bowel with half water and ended up adding several wet napkins tore into little pieces that i poked through the vent holes and added as many as it needed every 3omin until it was up

3. TaLani

TaLani ~ Gemini Chick ~

Oct 2, 2008
    Bryson City, NC
    I only have a 1583 & 2362, but will lend some help. When u added the water, did you add very warm water? That helped me. You could add a small dish of very warm water. Are your vent plugs in rt now?

Last edited: Feb 24, 2009
  4. william9792

william9792 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2008
    graham, nc
    open the bator for 30 seconds and see where it will be at in 10 mins after you close it back that should help

5. chickedydoodaa

Feb 8, 2009
    Philadelphia PA
    My vent plugs are in yes. I added warm water yes. When I put the sponges in they were also warm ( I use the yellow scotch brite ones, with the green scrubby part removed and rinsed good) 3 of those in there (one in a small bowl of water)

I will try opening it for 30 seconds and see if it will go up

6. TaLani

TaLani ~ Gemini Chick ~

Oct 2, 2008
    Bryson City, NC
    Well crumbs, short of what you've already done I don't know what else to suggest. Maybe someone with more experience will give some better advice. Please update me tomorrow. [​IMG] TaLani

7. chickedydoodaa

Feb 8, 2009
    Philadelphia PA
    got two pips and some chirping going into day 19 so it looks good guys, got the humidity up to 70% finally

8. TaLani

TaLani ~ Gemini Chick ~

Oct 2, 2008
    Bryson City, NC
    Hooray! [​IMG] Come on chickies!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. chickedydoodaa

Feb 8, 2009
    Philadelphia PA
    thanks huney:p let me know how you get on!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by