Quick important question!! Need advice tonight

NorthernMIFlock

Songster
5 Years
Jun 25, 2018
Northern MI
So I posted earlier about my broody buff and only one of her 5 eggs hatching yesterday. After she soiled her nest I removed her and checked the eggs, 3 infertile one an early quitter. Sooo my hubby picked up 5 chicks at tractor supply and we put them in her nest and she immediately opened her wings and tucked them all in. How often should I be checking to make sure things are OK before locking them up tonight? The pic is of her right when she tucked them in. Also, will she know they need food and water?? There is crumble and water right by them. Thx!!
1225D1AC-93CF-4314-9D64-50D02601A3C2.jpeg

So I posted earlier about my broody buff and only one of her 5 eggs hatching yesterday. After she soiled her nest I removed her and checked the eggs, 3 infertile one an early quitter. Sooo my hubby picked up 5 chicks at tractor supply and we put them in her nest and she immediately opened her wings and tucked them all in. How often should I be checking to make sure things are OK before locking them up tonight? The pic is of her right when she tucked them in. Also, will she know they need food and water?? There is crumble and water right by them. Thx!!View attachment 2245737
Looks good to me. I would maybe wake up and check around 3 or so, and then again in the morning whenever you get up. She should be fine. The food and water is plenty close.

If she tucked them in, then she has already accepted them. Just check on them maybe one more time tonight, and then early tomorrow morning.
She will know that they need food and water. Somehow, chickens know exactly how to take care of chicks, even if they have never had any before. Don't worry. She'll do a great job.

If she tucked them in, then she has already accepted them. Just check on them maybe one more time tonight, and then early tomorrow morning.
She will know that they need food and water. Somehow, chickens know exactly how to take care of chicks, even if they have never had any before. Don't worry. She'll do a great job.
That makes me so happy to hear! I honestly don’t like brooding chicks, just finished with 12 meat birds-yuck

Back
Top Bottom