Quick incubator temp question...

wornoutmomto3

Crowing
9 Years
Jan 6, 2014
Florida
My Coop
My Coop
I got a new incubator for Christmas this year, A little giant still air incubator. Of course I cranked it up and set some eggs(23). I did everything by the book. I let it sit for a couple days to stabilize before setting the eggs. Everything was going smoothly the temp was holding steady at 99.8 and the eggs were doing good so far. On day 2 of incubation the temp spiked to 137 F for over an hour. When I caught it I immediately cooled the bator and reset the temp. There have been no incubator issues since then. The temp is holding steady at 100.0 F. The eggs should now be on day 7. I candled for the first time this evening. (I was afraid all the eggs had died and wanted to give them a couple extra days.) Several of the eggs had no development while others showed some development but I couldn't see any blood vessels. A couple of the eggs are dark shelled and difficult to candle as well.

At what temp do eggs die? And, should I scrap this hatch and start over?

Yeah, that is what is was thinking. The last three hatches haven't been so good. If it isn't one thing it's another, incubator or bad eggs. Kinda stinks, but i know these things happen. All the eggs in this unfortunate hatch were local. However, i have been tempted to get some eggs from McMurray Hatchery. Is that a good option? They are a bit pricey and shipped eggs are notoriously difficult and unpredictable. If not them who would you suggest?

I got a new incubator for Christmas this year, A little giant still air incubator. Of course I cranked it up and set some eggs(23). I did everything by the book. I let it sit for a couple days to stabilize before setting the eggs. Everything was going smoothly the temp was holding steady at 99.8 and the eggs were doing good so far. On day 2 of incubation the temp spiked to 137 F for over an hour. When I caught it I immediately cooled the bator and reset the temp. There have been no incubator issues since then. The temp is holding steady at 100.0 F. The eggs should now be on day 7. I candled for the first time this evening. (I was afraid all the eggs had died and wanted to give them a couple extra days.) Several of the eggs had no development while others showed some development but I couldn't see any blood vessels. A couple of the eggs are dark shelled and difficult to candle as well.

At what temp do eggs die? And, should I scrap this hatch and start over?
Personally I would have given them a few days past a week, maybe till day 10 just to be sure before scrapping. 104 (For an extended time) I believe is death zone for still air bators. Still air incubators need to be ran at 102 degrees not the 99.5 that forced air is. (I know the manufactor's instructions for still air say 99.5, but that is not the recommended temp.) So technically you are running a couple degrees cooler than it should be. If it was an hour they very well well could have been cooked but it depends how quick the temp went up that fast. I am assuming that an hour before the temp was alright then next time you checked it read 137.(You can't say for sure how long it had been at 137.) I don't know how fast an egg would jump inside from 100- 104 at 137 maybe it would only take a few minutes,but without knowing this, I would have left them in for at least three or four more days to make sure. But then again, I'm a hopeful person. Sorry to hear this happened.

Last edited:
Personally I would have given them a few days past a week, maybe till day 10 just to be sure before scrapping. 104 (For an extended time) I believe is death zone for still air bators. Still air incubators need to be ran at 102 degrees not the 99.5 that forced air is. (I know the manufactor's instructions for still air say 99.5, but that is not the recommended temp.) So technically you are running a couple degrees cooler than it should be. If it was an hour they very well well could have been cooked but it depends how quick the temp went up that fast. I am assuming that an hour before the temp was alright then next time you checked it read 137.(You can't say for sure how long it had been at 137.) I don't know how fast an egg would jump inside from 100- 104 at 137 maybe it would only take a few minutes,but without knowing this, I would have left them in for at least three or four more days to make sure. But then again, I'm a hopeful person. Sorry to hear this happened. 

I haven't scrapped the whole hatch just yet. I did toss one of the eggs because it started to smell bad. I am still holding out for the others. Also, I haven't been able to procure anymore eggs for another hatch. It was all or nothing on this hatch. I am going to give it until Saturday(day 14) before I completely give up on these eggs.

I haven't scrapped the whole hatch just yet. I did toss one of the eggs because it started to smell bad. I am still holding out for the others. Also, I haven't been able to procure anymore eggs for another hatch. It was all or nothing on this hatch. I am going to give it until Saturday(day 14) before I completely give up on these eggs.
You'll have to let us know if any are still viable. I'm crossing fingers that all are not lost!

I got a bit anxious and candled this morning. (I am assuming no air cell means dead egg.) It was a bit discouraging when the first three eggs I candled had no air cell and no veining. Then the fourth egg had a discernible air cell.
yesss.gif
*ray of hope* (Most of the eggs are too dark to see veining so a noticeable air cell is pretty much all I can go on right now.) The air cells just kept coming. In all 6 eggs had no air cell (3 speckled sussex, 1 dominique, 2 backyard mutts). Four of the eggs still look pretty clear and 1 egg has an oddly shaped air cell; so, I am keeping an extra close eye of those. Good news is there are 16 eggs still in the incubator that I am holding out hope for.
fl.gif
I think these were the the furthest ones from the heat source during the spike. If they make it lockdown will be next Wednesday(Jan 14) evening for a hatch on Saturday(Jan 17).
Depending on the outcome from this hatch will determine if I set a Valentine Day hatch. I can't overdo it on the number of chicks. My kids will each be setting their own hatch at the end of February for a school project. That is 3 kids, 6 eggs each for a total of 18 eggs. I was going to do a dozen each but decided against that many, for now.

Last edited:
Update: There was a funny smell coming from the incubator this evening. So, I decided to investigate and started candling the eggs. One of the backyard mutt eggs started leaking. In all six more eggs were tossed. 10 eggs still remain in the incubator; 7 of those I am confident have a developing chick inside; 3 I am still iffy about. Of the 7 definite eggs 2 are Light Brahma and 5 are Gold Comet mixes. Of the 3 uncertains there is 1 French Black Copper Maran and 2 Gold Comet mixes. The development seems to be a bit behind schedule by approximately 2-3 days.

Overall this has been a very disappointing hatch. I know I should be thrilled that there are still ten eggs in the incubator. I am just a bit upset that over half the eggs had to be tossed as the result of a brief temperature fluctuation. I really wanted all the eggs to hatch. I was especially hoping the black copper marans would hatch. The last FBCM I hatched was just perfect. The beak, nostrils, and feet were like expertly crafted and polished black leather and the downy fluff was soft as velvet. I was really hoping for a few more, but even this last FBCM egg does not look promising. Still, I am hoping that these remaining eggs will hatch. We will have to wait and see, hatch day is still a week away.

Update: It is day 21 of the hatch. Not a single pip or cheep or anything. There was good movement in a couple of the eggs at last candling, but this waiting is driving me crazy. I will hold out a couple more days. In the morning on day 24 if there is no sign of hatching I will call this hatch over and clean out the incubator for the next hatch. I have been trying to find a silver lining with this whole situation, but it has been very disappointing.

On a brighter note, my young hens have finally started laying. There are some strange looking eggs coming out of those girls. One of the eggs is absolutely tiny. It is about the size of a standard breed's yoke. I laughed when I found it in the nest box. I don't have any bantam hens old enough to lay yet. There is a bantam rooster, but at last check roos don't lay eggs. I think I know which hen pooped this one out. "I think." She is the smallest of the bunch. Bigger than a bantam but smaller than a standard. I am not even sure that there is a yoke in this egg. I am planning to collect eggs for the next few days and set a fresh hatch next week. With some luck it will be set just in time for a valentine hatch. I may even try a few of those high end breeder eggs again also. We will just have to wait and see. (more waiting, sigh)

Back
Top Bottom