quick light question

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jjakaus, Jun 26, 2011.

1. jjakaus

jjakaus Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2011
    wyandotte, mi
    I have 4 chicks, 3 about 2 weeks and one 2 days. I have a brooder in my garage with a heat lamp and everything. It seems like it gets really warm in there during the day. Should I still leave the heat lamp all the time?

Thanks
    Janice

2. jwg423

jwg423 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2011
    Minnesota
    I keep a thermometer inside the brooder so I can keep track of the temp. if the temp gets to high I either raise the lamp or turn it off.

3. chickiepie

chickiepie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    Bucks County PA
    Same here. Keep an eye on it, you may be able to turn the light off depending on just how warm its getting, or move the lamp away.

4. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I agree depending on what the temp is you probably can turn the lamp off during the day. I keep my newly hatched chicks between 90 to 95 degrees the first week, but they can tolerate if it is a little lower.

5. Pharm Girl

Pharm Girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    I use a 50 watt red reptile heat emitting bulb and lower the light pretty low. That way the have a little heated area to go to if they get cold, but the rest of the brooder is a more comfortable temperature. It really works great and you don't have to guess if they are getting too hot or cold.

(This is only for chicks a couple weeks old and beyond though. A two day old chick may need more heat. Tough one)

Last edited: Jun 27, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by