1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Quick! need advice on hatching

Discussion in 'Quail' started by sullivansteph, Jun 27, 2011.

1. sullivansteph

sullivansteph Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2011
    I have 46 quail eggs in the incubator. It is day 21. 2 or 3 have small pips in the shells. However, it looks like activity is stopped. Do I help these out that have pipped? I'm worried that my humidity dropped too low over the weekend and they may be stuck. . . .Please advise. . . .

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    It is important at pipping stage that the humidity stays high so the chicks won't stick to the inside of the egg. How low did it drop? Are the eggs still jiggling around? There is really nothing you can do at this point if they are not actually zipping out of the eggs. Keep the humidity up to 70% and don't open the incubator.

3. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Helping Rarely Works Out Well.

What Speces Of Quail?

4. Whitehouse Quail

Whitehouse Quail Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    Michigan
    Don't open the incubator and add water if you think it's too low. What species, and what is your humidity now? If it's 50-60%, or even a little lower, just keep it closed and wait. I'll have two pips, then the next day another 60 quail will be bee-boppin' around the bator.

Don't give up! [​IMG]

5. _Randall_

_Randall_ Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2009
    Grenada, Ms
    Quote:I fully agree. Just like a very reputable Notre Dame football coach always said......... "Always expect a miracle"........ [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by