Quick, need help with hatching goslings

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Savedbygrace, Jun 17, 2019.

1. Savedbygrace

Savedbygrace Chirping

Mar 7, 2016
    Hi there, I need some help asap. Momma goose has been sitting and babies are hatching, 2 days ago one dead baby (appeared crushed) and 4 eggs. yesterday 2 dead babies (again both appear crushed) and 3 eggs. Today I went out and checked and she had 3 eggs, one almost hatched out and one pipped and one unopened. When I checked the almost hatched out one she was stepping on it and I decided I better take them away before I ended up with more dead goslings. I fired up the incubator, wrapped all three eggs in a damp towel and brought them in the house and popped them in the incubator. Now what do I do? same specs as chicken eggs? Any special care they need? All i have on hand is layer mash but can run to TSC for something else. I wasn't planning on mothering these guys but after seeing two perfect goslings crushed to death I had to do something.

Thanks in advance!

BirdsBeesTrees likes this.
  2. Iain Utah

Iain Utah Crowing

Dec 17, 2011
    I've had that happen a few times with first-time geese. It's a major bummer. You can let them hatch out in bator until they get their feet under them, then offer them back to her to raise. I've had lots of success doing this.

For food... Mash should be fine. Personally, I start with chopped romaine lettuce, then switch to grass quickly. I supplement with Flockraiser crumbles.

3. sylviethecochin

sylviethecochin Free Ranging

Jun 14, 2017
    Central PA
    Same specs as chicken eggs. They should have 22% protein feed and high niacin for the first two weeks of their life according to Metzer Farms; after that, they can drop down to 18% protein (but still, high niacin.)

My ducklings have trouble with mash (they get it wet, and then they can't pick it up) so I would go with crumbles, if you can.

Miss Lydia and BirdsBeesTrees like this.
  4. Savedbygrace

Savedbygrace Chirping

Mar 7, 2016
    thank you! They seem to be ok in the incubator. No full hatches yet but both eggs that were starting to hatch are still breathing and moving.

Miss Lydia and sylviethecochin like this.
  5. Savedbygrace

Savedbygrace Chirping

Mar 7, 2016
    update: we have one baby hatched and a second still working on it :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: