1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

QUICK need ideas for quick temp garage solution

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Baker Farm, Feb 13, 2013.

1. Baker Farm

Baker Farm Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2012
    Ontario, CANADA
    My coop is almost done but still needs a couple walls up and doors etc. I acquired a couple 8 month old rhode island red/sex links that I'm picking up tonight but cant house them there yet.
    Any easy quick ideas to pen them in my garage until the weekend?
    I was thinking 4 pallets into a pen? something easy like that... also, I'll need to have a nest box since they should be laying already.
    Need ideas before tonight ;) Thanks chicken gurus!

Kyle

2. minniefarm

minniefarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2013
    Whitmore Lake
    Seems like the pallet pen will work, but how about a large dog crate with a milk crate to nest in? It's only for a couple days, right?

Chime in here because I am a total newbie. It just seemed practical and quick for a short term solution.

3. Talihofarms

Talihofarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2010
    Dog crate or even a large box with litter will do.
    If using a box, remember to cover with netting or towels to keep them inside.
    At their age they will try to roost.
    Temp housing in a garage is simple, due to the fact that if they should escape.
    There is a secondary containment.
    That is, if you keep the garage doors shut.

4. Baker Farm

Apr 23, 2012
    Ontario, CANADA
    All in! I got 2 RIR's and a nice looking sex link. All free materials... Pallets, pieces of wood and an old baby gate that slides open or hinges. I have a roost bar, a 5 gal pail nest box and a light on a timer.
    I'm amazed how much poop they've made already! I don't have good bedding in there tonight, just cardboard and newspaper and a couple shovels of bark chips from my indoor wood pile.
    I opened the window and have a computer fan exhausting out to help with smell. Hopefully they'll be in the big house by the weekend :)

Thanks y'all!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Baker Farm

Apr 23, 2012
    Ontario, CANADA
    Sorry, I was told these were rhode island reds, but they are too light in my opinion. Anyone know what they are? maybe just production red birds? or look similar to sex links.
    I was happy to see one in the nest box this morning as I was leaving for work. Hopefully they will feel settled enough to start laying soon.

Thanks

6. goldfinches

goldfinches Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Maryland
    I think they're sex links, red and black. Often, hatcheries and farm stores get "Rhode Island Red", "Red Sex Link", "Production Red" mixed up - or they just use them interchangeably not knowing that they're different birds.

7. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Looks like a red sex link, black sex link and a hatchery stock RIR which for clarity is called a production red around here. The red sex link is the one with white feathers in hackles and white in tail. The Red Sex link is likely a production red roo over leghorn hens and Black Sec Link a Production Red Roo over Barred Rock.

8. Baker Farm

Apr 23, 2012
    Ontario, CANADA
    Sounds good. As long as they are good layers ill be happy. They seem fairly friendly anyways.
    Thanks

9. ll

ll Chillin' With My Peeps

good job & pretty birds

you can use leaves for bedding too = unless yours are all snowed under

This is the temp cage we have in our garage for hurricane/blizzard weather.

[​IMG]

10. Baker Farm

Apr 23, 2012
    Ontario, CANADA
    Lots of snow here unfortunetly. Im ready to be done with winter! Hehe

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by