Quick Newbie Question about "going Broody" Thanks, Keri

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Keri78, Dec 27, 2009.

1. Keri78

Keri78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2009
    NJ
    Hey There! Well, the snow is GONE and my chickies are VERY happy to be out and about again in the side yard! This morning I went out to collect eggs and there were SIX nice brown eggs all in one little nesting area! The girls had been out since early in the morning and none of them seemed to mind too much when I gathered up the eggs but I was just wondering ....when do they decide to go broody and I guess it's not all of the time? So if I hadn't gathered these up they would have gone to waste right???? Because no one was sitting on them? Help me to understand ....thanks, Keri:confused:

2. marytoast

marytoast Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2008
    Carthage, NC
    From what I have experienced and read here, a hen decides when she will go broody. You will know. She will sit on those eggs and growl at you if you get close. They can be very protective of the eggs.

3. KKatknap

KKatknap Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2009
    Albany, OR
    I have an Australorp who will go broody on occasion. I can prompt her to do so by leaving a plastic Easter egg or two in the nest. Although, sometimes she will decide she wants to be broody whether there are eggs (real or otherwise) there or not. My other hens could care less.

If you have a hen inclined to go broody, you will know. [​IMG]

4. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    That's right. Some hens will go broody and some won't. There are breeds that are very prone to going broody and other breeds that almost never get the urge. It is a hormonal thing and when a hens body tells her to brood it doesn't really matter if she has any eggs to sit on or not, she'll just start sitting tight in the nest box or wherever she's decided is a good spot. If you really want to hatch some eggs your better off getting an incubator.

What breeds do you have?

5. Keri78

Oct 17, 2009
    NJ
    I have four buff orpies, and the rest are a mix of cochins-smooth & frizzled.

6. Keri78

Oct 17, 2009
    NJ
    My cochins haven't started laying yet...so maybe one of them will be my broody![​IMG] I have way too much going on here st home to incubate eggs and raise baby chicks in the house. I started with day old babies when I started my flock back in June but I would prefer to let one of my hens do that work for me!(lol) Hoping that sometime this spring or early summer I could buy some maran eggs to add to my flock. Thanks for the clarification. You guys are the best around here![​IMG] Keri

7. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    I don't have any cochins, but the BO's are known for going broody and being good mothers. I've heard of BO's going broody just weeks after they start laying. Mine haven't yet [​IMG] , but I'm hopefull I'll have some momma hens in the Spring. Good broody thoughts going your way too. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by