quick pip question....

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by DirtCreature, Apr 12, 2012.

1. DirtCreature

DirtCreature Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2011
    Olympia, Washington
    I have egg's in lock down right now, yesterday my first egg pipped at 1:05 pm

its now 7:30am the next day, little itty bitty progress, like the hole is the same size but more open now.

This morning when i woke up the humidity had dropped down to 45% I bumped it back up to where its suppose to be though

My question is, do you think that pipped egg is ok...? How long before i should take it out and investigate?

how long is a safe time to give a pipped egg that isnt making progress before pulling it to make sure everything is ok?

Thanks
    Melissa~

2. smchickfarm

smchickfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2010
    Waynesville,OH
    well, it can take 24-36 hours for an egg to hatch.. However , with your humidity dropping like it did, it is possible that it is in trouble.

I had the same thing happen this past weekend. My last egg pipped sat. night, no progress sunday morning and my humidity had dropped. I made the choice to take it out and help it. I am glad I did, because it was somewhat shrink wrapped. I took most of the shell off and let him do it the rest of the way.

You don't want to open the incubator if you have other eggs that have pipped. So it is really a judgement call. If you feel it is in trouble, then go ahead and get it out.

Keep us posted and good luck![​IMG]

3. DirtCreature

DirtCreature Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2011
    Olympia, Washington
    none of my other eggs are currently pipped. so i don't think that's a big problem. also i can open my bator for a good while and the temp stay the same and humidity on go down 2-3 degrees MAYBE which is fine if its already at 75% or something. I'm going to take my son to school this morning, and its all the way across town, so when i get back and have my hands free maybe i will pop it out of the bator and ck it out if it hasn't done anything since i left for the school.

I know it can take a while and just wanted to see what everyone Else thoughts where on making sure its OK.

Thanks~

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by