Quick please! Blue or Black Ameraucanas which is better?

krstms

MO Hick Chick
10 Years
Sep 23, 2009
Missouri
I actually have a guy willing to sell me some pure ameraucana pullets and a roo for 10 bucks a peice. I cant take them all because I dont have room. I can choose between 1 black roo and 2 black pullets or 1 blue roo and 3 blue pullets. Which is better and why?

I have the black, and I hate to say it but it's not my favorite color....I vote for the blue.....for no reason other than preference....get a blue rooster......

Hi! I'd choose the blues. From blue x blue, you get blues, splashes, and blacks. From black x black, you just get blacks.
Good luck!
smile.png

Lisa

That's cool. I dont know anything about genetics and breeding. I think I'm gonna choose the blues then cause it would be neat to have all the different babies. I would still appreciate hearing what you all think though. Thanks.

It depends on which suits your purpose. Do you want to show, or want lots of color?

By chance - where in the world are you?! I'd love an ameraucana roo!

it doesn't mean that if a bird is black you will get a black bird.
it depends on the bird genes what you get and as we know ameraucana's come in all kind of colors even if they come from the same batch.
i had girls from the same mom and dad but the chicks were all kinds of colors. the color doesn't say definitely the colors of the chicks.
keep this in mind. Did you ask how the parents look like and where did the blue came from. my splash chickens hatched out blue chicks.

I've seen pictures and they look to be pure ameraucana not easter eggers. He also has a splash pullet but I wanted a group of the same color for my starter flock. I dont want to show. I really just wanted the blue eggs, but I've gotta admit I cant resist the urge to buy a roo too and make babies. He said the blues could produce any of the three colors BBS. I cant wait to get them. Supposed to get them saturday. Cant wait to see all the different babies I could hatch. I've seen the eggs in a pic too. They are a beautiful blue.
ya.gif

ChickenWhisperer I'm in missouri. He still has 1 black roo and 1 blue roo besides what I'm getting and also 1 splash hen and 2 black hens. He wont ship though. Pick-up only.
sad.png

Yep from the pictures they look just like those on the breeders club website.
big_smile.png

Last edited:
I'd do the blues assuming they are all good quality. (for black blue and splash) Unless you want to do lavendar's, then you should pick black. (but you'd have to find a lavendar roo and cross the offspring to each other or back to the lav roo)

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom