Quick Please! Chick hatched immaturely

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by lilmama, Jul 5, 2011.

1. lilmama

lilmama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2010
    Hello,

Yesterday 5 chicks hatched under our hen. One egg did not. 12 hours later, it was cracked but still not hatched and mama and newborn chicks were starting to walk around. We stupidly assumed the last egg was not going to hatch. Mama hen left it uncovered over night and we didn't think much of it. This morning I was cleaning the coop and low and behold heard a cheaping coming from the egg which was now covered with ants. I tried to put it under the mama but she is up and around with her babies, eating, drinking, etc... so that didn't work. Ants began to go inside the crack, which was now bigger. For better or for worse, we did what we thought was best and helped the egg to continue to hatch. We brushed the ants off what was clearly a slightly immature chick. We put her under a heat lamp and she seems to be doing better all the time. In the last hours she has fluffed up a little and opening her eyes. But clearly, she is not ready to join the others. I have been holding her all morning as that is where she is happiest now that she is conscious. When do u think i can put her with the mama and other chicks and should i offer her food anytime soon?

Last edited: Jul 5, 2011
  2. blkwdw

blkwdw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2011
    what I have read, when you think she is ready.. sneak her in with mama at night when they are asleep..
    They can go 48 hrs without food/ water, but there is no reason to with hold it, since you have her out, so I would offer fresh water and chick starter now, put her under heat ( around 95 degrees) and see about slipping her in tonight or tomorrow night.. good luck... just goes to show: never give up!

Last edited: Jul 5, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by