Quick query- if you do get fecal matter on the meat? Also what to do in fridge-

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by CAjerseychick, Aug 29, 2014.

1. CAjerseychick

CAjerseychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2012
    Northern California!
    So the second bird I butchered tonight had a very full crop and some thing in the guts popped (fecal matter or gall bladder?) --

I rinsed him out well and now he is in my fridge in a bowl to tenderize - loosely covered with plastic wrap- Is that all that needs to be done, or should I soak him in brine? (recipe?) or feed him to my dogs? The other smaller, tough old roo wasnt punctured and came out alot cleaner we would still eat him...

2. cmchickens

cmchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2014
    Bigfork, Montana
    Rinse it well. Any pathogens will die when you cook it. It is fine to eat. I don't brine old birds. I just but them in my slow cooker for 8 hours or so. Delicious!

1 person likes this.
  3. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Fasting a bird overnight helps the guts empty making puncturing much less likely. Rinsing immediately usually prevents most contamination.

4. CAjerseychick

CAjerseychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2012
    Northern California!
    I was working up the guts to kill a really mean roo, had him in a cage all day (so, accidently he was fasted and the butchering went alot cleaner)- then since I was going to kill one I thought I may as well do the least impressive of or roos (we had 5) so it took me awhile to catch him- poor guy he seemed to know and ran around for awhile, I was luring him in by feeding him....
    I did rinse him out really well, he is also kinda half boiled on the outside d/t me leaving him in the water too long (was wanting to make sure the feathers came out easy, they did, and half his skin too)- am hoping he doesnt dryout too much while he sits in the fridge (48 hours right)...

5. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Wrap him with Saran Wrap. Wrapping him will prevent dehydration......

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by