Quick question about Bumble foot

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Mom2sixpeeps, May 10, 2011.

1. Mom2sixpeeps

Mom2sixpeeps Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2011
    Monroe, GA
    My sweet Henrietta (a buff cochin with a beautiful fluffy butt) has a small black scab on her foot. I think it's the beginning of bumble foot. There is no swelling or heat or redness. Question is this....Should I go ahead and take care of it (feels like theres a small core under the scab too)? I feel comfortable doing it myself. Should I wait until she's showing signs of pain? There's no doubt it's bumble foot, I think I just caught it early. I don't want her to go through anything painful (who would?). My gut says to go ahead and take it out, just want to make sure from the experts here. Thanks guys!!

2. Mom2sixpeeps

Mom2sixpeeps Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2011
    Monroe, GA
    bump

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
  4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I prefer the minor surgery over the tricide neo. Tricide neo works. BUT, it takes time...a week or much longer to get rid of the bumble.
    I have done plenty of bumblefoot surgeries. I've run into several where the black scab was there, and after the soaking... then the cutting and squeezing...nothing was there. I finally wised up and decided that if I dont see limping... swelling or redness around the scab...I'm not going to do the surgery. So far so good. I've seen the scabs disappear on their own over time. I actually had performed several of the surgeries needlessly, causing undue stress on the hen(s). This is just my observation. Close observation is the key in deciding whether to do the surgery or use the tricide neo.

Last edited: May 11, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by