Quick question about coops, covered runs, and height

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by littlebean, May 12, 2010.

1. littlebean

littlebean New Egg

May 12, 2010
    Blue Ridge Mtns.
    I searched the forum but couldn't quite find the answer I was looking for, so I hope I'm not being redundant. (If it's on here and I missed it, please link me!) My plan is to have a covered run (this is a must here due to hawks and wild cats), but I'm unsure as whether it would be better for my birds to have the run high enough for me to walk into, with the human-sized door on that side of the coop, or to keep the run lower (around four feet in height) and have the human sized door on the outside of the run. Is there an advantage to one over the other, or is it just a matter of personal preference?
    Thank you!
    -Bean

2. AccioSarah

AccioSarah Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2010
    San Juan, Puerto Rico
    I think it's really just personal preference. I went with a small run that I can not walk into and am greatly regretting it. I'm actually looking into getting some wire panels in order to construct one that I can walk into.
    Hope this helps.
    Sarah

3. littlebean

littlebean New Egg

May 12, 2010
    Blue Ridge Mtns.
    It really does. [​IMG] If there's no advantage to the shorter run, I'd rather build it big enough I can go inside to hang with my flock. [​IMG] I really don't want them to be the stand-off no-pet birds like my grandfather had.

4. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I think most folks who build a short run, do so because of space or money constraints. Given enough space and money, I think the vast majority of folks would go for a walk-in run. It's simply more convenient being able to take care of business without having to stoop down or use a long rake to reach in. And it's just nice being able to go in and sit with your birds for socialization, as you mentioned.

5. littlebean

littlebean New Egg

May 12, 2010
    Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Luckily, out here in the boondocks space isn't much of an issue (which is why I'm building a slightly bigger run than recommended to begin with) and fencing/cover materials are going to be about my only costs as I'm using recycled materials. [​IMG] So I think I'm definitely going to build a walk-in run (which sounds really funny when you say it out loud).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by