Quick Question about ducklings!! (noob alert)

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by dofnup, Feb 11, 2015.

1. dofnup

dofnup Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    Hello all,

I'm a duck noob so please be patient!! [​IMG]

I just received my first ducklings, yay!! They seem to be doing ok but they keep eating poop and bedding! Should I be concerned, or is this just normal behaviour? They are in the same brooder with baby chicks ... from what I have researched, this shouldn't be an issue (the living amongst chickens) ... they've only been in there for 2 hours so they might just be getting used to everything?

I don't want them to fill up on bedding instead of food ... as a precautionary measure, I put some paper towels on top of the bedding and put some feed on top so when they peck they at least get food instead of bedding, but that doesn't stop them from pecking at poop ... sooo yucky [​IMG]

Any reassurance / guidance would be appreciated!! [​IMG]

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    either take out the bedding or cover with old clean towels ducklings are bad for eating bedding and they can get blocked up form it. They'll get the hang of what not to eat and what to eat in about a week But bedding is a no no. Are they just tiny? Keep showing them where food and water is. They should be fine with your chicks for a while but ducks are way messier than chicks and soon you'll have to have 2 brooders or your chicks won't be too happy being in wet shaving. Plus ducklings will need to wash their nares out which means they will need something deep enough to do it in and chicks could drown. Very good read... https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/750869/raising-and-caring-for-ducklings#post_10611711

Last edited: Feb 11, 2015
  3. dofnup

dofnup Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    Thank you so much for your reply [​IMG]

They are doing much better once I covered the bedding...I've seen at least one of them eat from the feeder. I'll keep it covered until I am sure they are all eating from the feeder then.

4. needlessjunk

needlessjunk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2014
    Round Rock, TX
    keep the bedding covered for a few days. If they need help keep showing them where their food and water is. You can dunk their heads in it gently to help them along. Congrats on the babies. Ducks are very mess and water is hard to keep under control. If you look through my pics I have different waterers to give you some ideas when mine were little.

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    It takes time but they'll catch on. enjoy them they grow so fast and please be sure to post pics of them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by