Quick question about hatching with a broody

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Parkers*momma, Jun 26, 2010.

1. Parkers*momma

Parkers*momma Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2010
    Continental Ohio
    Smartypants has been faithfully sitting on 11 eggs-our first time hatching chicks. Yesterday afternoon the babies started hatching and we got a sneak preview of two of them. They were out from underneath her investigating. My question: how long before we can sneak a peek as to how many children Smartpants has? Our Daughter was up at 6:30am wanting to head to the coop to do a head count. I told her not until I ask the experts at BYC [​IMG]

Also, should we move her to another area after the chicks are hatched? She is in a pen with 4 other hens and a roo. One of the hens is our original hen and she rules the roost. During the incubation time, there has been many times that PeeWee has attacked Smartypants over the nest as PeeWee is my egg-breaking hen.(only reason we keep her is she was our Daughters first chick from the Easter Bunny). Should we move them once everyone is hatched?

2. oldchickenlady

oldchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    Cabot, AR
    I would move them so there is no danger of rooster or other hens picking on the chicks.

3. Parkers*momma

Apr 11, 2010
    Continental Ohio
    Thanks for the quick reply. I will definitely head out to the coop and start arranging her a more private area for the family.

How soon can we take a peek(pick momma up and do a head count)? My daughter is driving me loco this morning!

4. greyhorsewoman

greyhorsewoman Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    Endless Mts, NE PA
    Be aware that mama may not be very happy with you picking her up and moving the chicks. I've found it easier to move mama first into a dog crate or other safe harbor and then the chicks.

5. jen5680

jen5680 Southside Silkie Shack

Jun 18, 2009
    SW Ohio
    I had a very sweet hen that hatched some chicks and then she turned into kung fu momma so just be a bit careful that she doesn't go after your little one! Lol!

6. Parkers*momma

Apr 11, 2010
    Continental Ohio
    Quote:That's my concern...I don't want her to kill the chicks (will hens do that?) or abandom them if we move them. Currently, up until the first hatching...she never poofed up or squawked when our daughter goes in to talk to her or pet her while she was sitting. I realize that all can change since the eggs are hatching and a few hard peeks might be coming. The main concern is not letting PeeWee hurt Smartypants and her children AND stressing Smartypants out where she will harm the chicks if we move her. What would you do?

7. Parkers*momma

Apr 11, 2010
    Continental Ohio
    Quote:lol...eeek! might be breaking out the welding gloves now. First hatching and learning soooooo much! Thanks!

8. greyhorsewoman

greyhorsewoman Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    Endless Mts, NE PA
    Rarely does a hen intentionally kill or abandon her chicks. I move them into a large vari-kennel (dog) ... but have learned from experience it is best to move mom FIRST, then gather up the chicks ... catching scattered chicks while mom is attacking you is definitely a stupid way to go (been there, done that). [​IMG] In our case, our little Jap hatched in the hayloft and I was trying to get her and chicks to a safer location. She avoided me, so I figured I'd go ahead and move the chicks, but they scattered 'cause mom was screaming ... and we spent an hour digging chicks out from between hay bales, with her attacking us~!

Just try to wait till she definitely done hatching.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2010
  9. Parkers*momma

Apr 11, 2010
    Continental Ohio
    Quote:Great! Thank you now we have a game plan. I've set up the dog kennel and we finally took a peek....and She did poof up a lil but then started stetching like..phewww it's been a long haul for the past three weeks. She didn't squawk or peck at all but poofed up a lil. Currently, from the looks of the babies, we have 3 new Japs, 1 white cochin, 2 phoenix, and 1 OEG bantam. The 3 remaining eggs are piped so we aren't going to do anything else until late tonight or tomorrow. We definitely don't want to upset her and have her not hatch out the remaining three eggs. Then Smartypants will be heading to her new home with her babies soon to follow.

I will admit, it does look funny having my heavy red hen mothering this hodge podge of chicks.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by