Quick question about laptops...

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by chixrus, Nov 23, 2009.

1. chixrus

chixrus Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2008
    i'm getting a dell laptop (please don't comment on my choice, i had a limited price range) and i would like to know if i can get other accessories (i.e. webcam, programs, wireless mouse etc...) later or do i have to get them when i order it?

ETA: and what about a wifi connector? my mom doesn't want wifi in the house, but if i'm at panera bread or the library or something it would be nice to use the internet there. do i need something extra?

Last edited: Nov 23, 2009
  2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

You can always buy stuff afterwards, but it may wind up cheaper to order it all bundled together. There is nothing wrong with a Dell.

3. chixrus

Oct 24, 2008
    lol my friend was just like 'you're getting a dell??? but there's way better stuff...' and i was like, i don't care, it's 500 with a case and flash drive and it's in my favorite color. lol. thanks

4. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I've got the inspiron 1525, and it is equipped with a built-in wifi thingy. [​IMG]

I bought mine at walmart, so idk about the price, if it's cheaper to get it all at once or later on. I guess you'll just have to do some comparison shopping.

5. chixrus

Oct 24, 2008
    i'm getting the 1545...from walmart too!

6. debilorrah

Quote:As with ANY brand of a computer, there are lemons out there. Just DO NOT buy an Acer - ever.

7. chixrus

Oct 24, 2008
    really? how come?

8. debilorrah

Quote:They are cheap. Low price, low performance. They come with Windows, but they do not come with enough RAM to operate the dang thing efficiently. And they have a terrible reputation for breaking. There have been a few that held up, but I would stick with the Dell if I were you - my hubby is an IT guy. He says there is nothing wrong with Dell computers. It all depends on the foreigner that built it [​IMG]

ETA: I mean in another country. I am NOT racist.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2009
  9. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    The only problem I have had with mine is that some programs (facebook apps [​IMG]) seem to make it overheat a lot. Other than that, it works good. If I could just stay off facebook......

10. whitecra

whitecra Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    Oklahoma
    I have a Dell and love it. My husband is an IT guy and this is what they use a t the hospital where he works. Good computers. My son has an Acer and it has been a good one also. He has had it for 2 years now without any problems.
    Chris

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by