Quick question about list

Discussion in 'Website Announcements, Feedback, Issues, & Guides' started by Sqwidy, Dec 14, 2014.

1. Sqwidy

Sqwidy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2014
    Austin, TX
    Hi! I started making my first list, but ran into a snag. I wanted to make a list of the breeds I'm interested in. I was able to add the first one, but as I try to add additional ones, I get this error:

{"status":"error","message":"Your account does not have the required permissions to access this page."}

Any thoughts on what I might be doing wrong?

Cheers!

Ashley

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    No idea but I highly recommend you look at what I consider much more informative breed selection charts based on what people know that have raised many more breeds than those that comment on the BYC charts.
    http://www.albc-usa.org/documents/chickenbreedcomparison.pdf

http://www.sagehenfarmlodi.com/chooks/chooks.html

http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/BRKChickensA-C.html

There are a lot of great breeds and many of those aren't kept by the majority of people on this great forum.

edited to correct the incorrect link.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2014
  3. Sqwidy

Dec 13, 2014
    Austin, TX
    Nice. This is great -- thanks!

4. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I put an incorrect link in my first post. I've since corrected it with the correct ALBC link.

Make your short list with birds adaptable to your climate and then look for your desires: egg production, size, color, temperament, etc..

5. Sqwidy

Dec 13, 2014
    Austin, TX
    Cool -- thanks! We get a few freezes in the winter, but it's probably more the summer I have to worry about. August will have a couple weeks of 90-100 degree weather. So heat tolerance would be a biggie. Other than that, I'd love friendly, sweet hens who wouldn't mind me hanging out with them, and who could produce some colorful eggs. What are your thoughts on these guys...

Domniques
    Legbars
    Marans
    Olive eggers
    Orpingtons
    Astralorps

Cheers!

Ashley

6. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    You're correct with worrying more about heat than cold. I've lost birds to heat but never to cold and it goes from -20 to 110+.

All good breeds on your list and nothing wrong with any of them. I just encourage people to look into less common breeds that have great qualities as well.

Legbars should give you blue eggs but so will araucanas.
    Easter eggers should be colorful but you won't know till they lay.
    Marans are dark layers and good birds but there are others that lay dark eggs. Penedesencas and welsummers lay very dark eggs as do some barnevelders and langshans. Penedesencas don't take to people right off the bat but after about a year they'll follow you around the yard. They're aloof so very daytime predator proof and unless startled are happy to stay inside a 2' fence.
    Orpingtons are nice docile birds. Not as wary, I've seen a fox grab one in the middle of the afternoon. Luckily I was there to run it off.
    A friend had dominiques that they really liked.

I'd also look at Plymouth Rocks, Jersey Giants, Buckeyes, Javas, Jaerhons and Redcaps.

Have fun.

7. Sqwidy

Dec 13, 2014
    Austin, TX
    This is all super helpful -- thanks! And yeah, there are a lot of birds. These lists are serious. Welp, there goes my Sunday :p

8. lovemy6hens

lovemy6hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2013
    Central Texas
    We live just north of Austin. Our australorp seems to have tolerated the weather here quite well. Our barred rock had trouble with the heat. I hope that helps! We also have two easter eggers, two sex links, & a wyandotte.

1 person likes this.
  9. Sqwidy

Dec 13, 2014
    Austin, TX
    Nice! Thanks -- that is helpful :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by