Quick question about record low tonight

pbjmaker

Crowing
11 Years
May 9, 2008
Central Iowa
I have 5 chicks that my broody kicked to the curb (all the standard size ones - shes a banty) They are only about three weeks old, have not had any heat source for about two weeks and have been great. They are outside all day (mid 70's) and in a tote at night, placed in the garage. Temps at night have been mid -high 60's.

Tonight we are supposed to drop to at least 45. Do you think they will still be OK in the garage? They are about 1/2 feathered in (full wings, body) Head, tummy, butts are still downy.

I'd bring them in to the basement, but we are laying tile right in front of the entrance to the basement.

Arggg what to do (BTW my heat lamp is broken so that won't be an option tonight)

I'd cover the tote with a fluffy towel or two, and set it down in a large cooler (WITH THE LID PROPPED OPEN!) so that they could retain their own warmth. I'd be worried about the possible smells from the tile adhesives, so I'd go with the garage.

farmin'chick :

I'd cover the tote with a fluffy towel or two, and set it down in a large cooler (WITH THE LID PROPPED OPEN!) so that they could retain their own warmth. I'd be worried about the possible smells from the tile adhesives, so I'd go with the garage.

The tote has an old screen over it so I think I will place a couple of towels over that - good idea.

Luckily these guys are already pretty big (marans, EE) I think that is why my serama didn't want these particular ones.

Going to put a towel over them now (with some ventilation)

Unfortunately I don't have a cooler that would fit. But I have a kitchens worth of boxed cabinets surrounding the tote
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom