Quick question about Terramycin

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by WildHorseMountain, Jun 24, 2011.

1. WildHorseMountain

WildHorseMountain Out Of The Brooder

Jun 21, 2011
    E. Oklahoma
    .........is it the same thing as Duramycin-10 Tetracycline Hydrochloride soluble powder? I have some chicks coming in the mail and need to give them Terramycin and sugar water for the first day. I've been gathering supplies for their arrival, When I asked for terramycin they gave me this Duramycin-10.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2011
  2. WildHorseMountain

Jun 21, 2011
    E. Oklahoma
    Ok.....let me try it this way? I have some chicks coming in the mail next week, is there anything I need to add to their water for the shipping stress? I read somewhere that I should add 1/4 cup of sugar and 1 tsp. of Terramycin to a gallon of water for the first day or two. It's suppose to boost immunity and reduce stress of shipping. Is this true??? Or should I just give them plain water. Any information would be appreciated, thank you, Kim

3. FuzzyButtsFarm

FuzzyButtsFarm Rest in Peace 1950-2013

You really don't need an antibiotic unless they have an infection. All you really need is a little sugar water with baby liquid vitamins without iron. ( Polyvisol ) You can get it at any drug store or in the vitamin section at Walmart. I use 1 tsp sugar 1 dropper full of vitamins to a quart of water. The small waters you get at the feed store hold a quart. Good luck with your fuzzy butts.

4. WildHorseMountain

Jun 21, 2011
    E. Oklahoma
    Ok, When I went on my shopping trip today I picked up some "durvet" vitamins and electrolytes. It's a water soluble premix of vitamins and electrolytes for poultry, swine, ruminants and horses. (all animal classes), and I also bought Sav-A-Chick. I don't know what I'm doing with the "durvet" stuff, just figured I might need it. Would either one of those work? How much sugar do I use? Sorry, I'm a noob and this is the first time I've ever bought chicks by mail and I'm a nervous wreck ha ha! Thanks, Kim

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

In truth, you really don't need anything in the water. For the first day, sure, you can use a pinch of the electrolyte powder, maybe a teaspoon of sugar, but then remove it and give fresh water. If you leave sugar in, they'll have loose poop, not a good thing. Many don't like the taste of the electrolyte mix and won't drink as well as they should.

I've never had chicks come in the mail, but I have picked them up at the feed store on the same day as the shipment came in and I don't give sugar, just a teaspoon of unfiltered organic apple cider vinegar in the water to help with pasty butt.

Definitely, no antibiotics!

6. WildHorseMountain

Jun 21, 2011
    E. Oklahoma
    Great! Thank you, I will just give them plain water. I'm just worrying too much.
    Thanks, Kim

7. Cacciatore

Cacciatore Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2011
    San Pablo, CA
    Give them plain water unless you have one or two that appear a little weak, then you might give them little sugar water to help get them over the stress of shipping.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by