Quick question about the roof

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by stone_family3, Aug 2, 2011.

1. stone_family3

stone_family3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    I don't want to use shingles because I wanted to be able to collect the rain water off the coop. Could I use wood then "glue" a piece of plexi glass over it and seal around the edges? I'd like to use the water for my girls.

I'm trying to keep it very cheap and the corrugated panels are a bit out of my price range right now [​IMG] and I've not been able to find any tin roofing for cheap either.

2. Crazy4mypeeps

Crazy4mypeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2011
    Nebraska
    Have you checked craigslist? Sometimes people have extra materials left over that are reasonable.

3. stone_family3

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    Yeah no luck [​IMG]

4. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

If you're not concerned about looks, then plywood with vinyl cloth wrapped/stapled in place would work. Pretty much all fabric stores carry the thick, clear vinyl 'cloth'. Plexiglass isn't too cheap either is it??

PS - first try posting your own request for a small piece of scrap sheet metal for free or cheap. Many folks (me included) have scrap just laying around, and would be happy to get rid of it.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2011
  5. stone_family3

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    Thanks I'll try that, I already have plexiglass.

I also thought of covering the wood in pop/beer cans since those are always found around here, just cutting them into sheets using an adhesive and then nailing them into the wood.

6. Chemguy

Chemguy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2011
    Springfield, Ohio
    If you're going for cheap, why not just attach a tarp? It might not last as long as plexiglass, but maybe that would buy you enough time to save up for a more durable material.

7. stone_family3

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    Tarps just don't seem to last long here and I honestly don't trust it to keep out any predators. We only have one canvas one currently and it's being used as shade for the run.

8. atr04screw

atr04screw Out Of The Brooder

Jun 14, 2011
    I used 4x10 foot galvanized tin on my coop and it works great. It is only $20-$30 at a local building supplier and it lasts a long time. Also, you said your trying to cheap, but mentioned using plexiglass. Plexiglass is very expensive, I believe it is $30 for a 4'x4' piece.

9. stone_family3

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    I already have plexiglass so it wouldn't cost me anything.

10. atr04screw

atr04screw Out Of The Brooder

Jun 14, 2011
    The plexiglass would work. Are you planning on putting gutters on the coop to collect the water?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by