Quick question? Are hen hatched eggs not moved duringlast 3 days too?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by foreverblessed, Nov 16, 2008.

1. foreverblessed

foreverblessed Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2008
    SE Tampa Bay Area
    The 4 silkie hens my daughter received for her birthday are ALL broody and setting on eggs. They are setting in 2 pairs of two.

The eggs under one pair were laid by one of the two broody setting on them ... until she went broody too. SO I am not 100% of the hatch date, until tonight. I gathered the eggs to candle them and while doing so we heard peeping. I checked the egg and there was pipping. I made sure the membrane was open and placed all the eggs back under the hens. All the eggs were dark except for one clear one. [​IMG]

My question - Is there a certain position I need to place the egg in to make hatching easier for the chick???
    Or will the mama hen position the egg??? I feel so bad!!! By my calculation I could candle up until Tues or Weds .... WRONG!!!

Thanks for any help .... I am new to hatching, but have had 5 silkie and 2 EE hatch from the other two broody silkie pair. They are still setting on a 3rd EE egg that I think the shell was too thick and hard for the chick to pip. I wish I'd help with a breathing hole .... I helped one of the 5 silkies out, but was scary cause I didnt have a clue but what I had read here! You guys are great!

Blessings and THANKS!!!!
    Laura

Last edited: Nov 16, 2008
  2. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    I think you're fine if you put the pip up. But they get jostled and bumped all the time, so I don't think it matters much. [​IMG]
    Congrats!!

3. foreverblessed

Jun 1, 2008
    SE Tampa Bay Area
    WOW Thanks for the quick reply! Mrs AK!!!! That is what I was hoping and praying !!!

Do you think the chick will be out of the shell by morning? How long does it take? I have found them normally under the "mama" hen already out and dry except for the one that I helped out and I didnt know how long he had been there so I help out by opening the pip up 1/3 of the egg opened. The chick did fine.

Thanks again! [​IMG]

Blessings to ya!
    Laura

4. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    It could take over 24 hours for them. Don't forget the pictures, We love pictures. [​IMG]

5. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    Gin is right... just be patient. [​IMG] And I second the pictures... [​IMG]

6. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Give at least 24 hours if not more. If momma hen has them, she'll get up when they are all ready to go as a family. Take pics when shes out with them all!

7. foreverblessed

Jun 1, 2008
    SE Tampa Bay Area
    Good Morning!!!

HEY, WE HAVE A BABY CHICK!!!

So the silkies we (my daughter has) have are:

The 4 "mama's" (BIG mama, Little mama, SWEET mama and Mean mama-[aka:Drama Queen]

the first three babies that hatched .... Uno, Dos and Trece (I helped Trece out and put him in out little incubator, 3 egg for warmth)

I have to run the carpool to school ...... Just wanted to let you know ..... WE HAVE A BABY CHICK!!!

I will be back on after I get back and get some things done around the house.

Blessings to y'alls day!
    Laura

8. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Congrats on your hatch.

9. SGM

SGM Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    Easley, SC
    Congratulations!!! Post some photos! And cute names!

10. foreverblessed

Jun 1, 2008
    SE Tampa Bay Area
    Good Morning!

Well we now have two new little chickies!! I think a chick a day will hatch since the broody was laying on her nest mates newly laid eggs until she too went broody and joined her in the job!!!

I think the "clear egg" disappeared. I think they must have eaten it. ????? not sure where it went otherwise!

I wasnt too original with the names .... My daughter had already named Drama Queen - but I renamed her cause that hen is MEAN and named all the others a "mama" name that fit. I like the babies to have names also ... as soon as they hatch or at least within the first day or so.

With the silkie chicks .... well you cant tell one from the other and I used highlighters and put "highlights" on their head for all but uno. Uno is highlight free! Dos has a pink highlight and Trece a blue highlight that looks green! My daughter is planning on selling her chicks but wants to keep the first small hatch of three.

I would love to be able to post pictures .... but will need help, LOL! a lot of help! my mind just doesnt seem to have the ability to understand or retain todays tech stuff??? My husband (very tech sauvy) has too much going on to help. He would if I asked but until things slow down for him I do not want to ask him to figure it out. I have tried to understand the instructions to post pictures but have gotten too frustrated with it to keep trying. I know I am not dumb and should be able to figure it out but ..... ???? However! I can put pictures in my avatar. I will take some pictures and try to change that every other day or so with a new picture of our new little babies. Sadly, that is the best I can do right now.

No carpool duty this morning, so a full day of chicken and household chores aka: cleaning and picking up, ahead of me.

Blessings for a great day!
    Laura

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by