Quick question... broody on egg with pip... won't stay on nest...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Buugette, May 21, 2010.

1. Buugette

Buugette [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Cra

May 26, 2009
    Bucks County, PA
    She keeps getting up to eat or drink... then gets back on the nest. We can see the egg with the pip... and hear the chirping. I know if you open the incubator the chick could get shrinkwrapped... can that happen with an egg under a hen that gets up?

D

2. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    Yes and no. Usually the hens sit tight on the eggs for the last day or so, not getting up to eat or drink at all, but as the weather warms, that would be really hard on the hens. I've had broodies get up to eat/drink in the last days and their chicks hatched fine. A lot of the humidity comes from the hens' body, so when she comes back, the humidity will be fine.

If you think she's abandoning the nest, that's a bigger problem. It's unusual for them to abandon at this stage because they can hear the babies peeping and they're already bonding with them. Make sure she keeps going back to the nest.

3. Buugette

Buugette [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Cra

May 26, 2009
    Bucks County, PA
    She does keep going back... she doesn't stay off long. She is actually next to me on her nest. We are doing the hatch as my son's 4H project... and we have 6 in the bator and 1 under Maxine. We brought her in to watch how she does what she does. She is sitting in her nest watching TV at the moment. I moved her food and water close so she doesn't have to get up, but she does from time to time. She has already been checking her underbelly cause there is peeping coming from within. It is funny to watch her.

Thanks.

D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by