quick question -- counting days -- nervous first-timer

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by farmergal, Dec 21, 2008.

1. farmergal

farmergal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2008
    Nor Cal
    I've tried a few different search terms but I'm having a hard time finding an answer on old threads.

If you set eggs at night, the following morning is day 1, right?
    If you set eggs in the morning, is that day 1?

I have eggs due on Christmas and the day after Christmas (I *think*) and just wanted to make sure I have everything straight so I don't stop turning them too early or too late.

I'm getting so nervous as the date arrives! please send good hatching energy and prayers for the little ones over to California! this is my first time, and I'm trying the dry incubation method, so I'm really hoping I don't mess anything up. [​IMG]

thanks,
    Lynda

2. dbcooper02

dbcooper02 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2007
    SW Washington
    I never "count" the days. I figure if I set chicken eggs on a Monday they are due on the third Monday following. If I set them on a Monday morning I stop turning them the Friday morning before they are due. If I set them Monday evening then I stop turning Friday evening.
    Hoping you do well with your hatch.
    db

3. magikchick

magikchick ~FEATHERFOOTED DIVA~

Apr 21, 2007
    SW Florida
    I set mine at night and count the next day as day one.

4. Rufflemyfeathers

Rufflemyfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2008
    Astatula Florida
    I usually have set what have done at night and counted the next night same time I set as my first day and so forth..I have 8 Road Island White due Christmas Eve and 2 Royal Palm Turkeys due New Years Eve. Rest of mine are out in coop growing like weeds..

Wish everyone luck on your hatches..I have grown an addiction to this hatching eggs and got to stop..got to be able to feed what got. Still got eggs coming more Turkeys and Sex-Link probably frozen somewhere in Missouri that is last place tracking number showed and was suppose to have by Friday and not and Sat not..so who knows what shape they will be in..Frozen Scrambled Eggs I am sure.

5. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    If you set at night I would count the next day as day #1

Like someone else said if you set on a Thursday they should hatch on a Thursday !!

Did you set them on Thursday and Friday ??

Also, even if you stop turning a day early it's not going to harm the eggs they will be fine !!

Good luck, hope you get lots of babies !!!!

6. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    If you set before noon, that day is day 1, after noon the next day will be day 1.

7. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    Quote:[​IMG] ohhhhh my, now your a bald egg [​IMG] you poor thing !!

8. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Quote:[​IMG] ohhhhh my, now your a bald egg [​IMG] you poor thing !!

[​IMG] 'nuther typo, supposed to be BALD EAGLE. [​IMG]

9. farmergal

farmergal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2008
    Nor Cal
    LOL to bald egg...

dbcooper -- thanks so much! That makes a lot of sense. DUH, here I am counting days on my fingers, not realizing the obvious -- that 21 days is exactly three weeks, and I can just think in terms of that, and time of day.

Thanks to all. I set my eggs on a Thursday night and a Saturday morning, so I figure I'll just move all of the eggs to cartons on Monday night, and keep tilting the Sat eggs in the carton through Tuesday.

Then -- no more opening the bator!!

Rufflemyfeathers -- good luck with your hatch too!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by