Quick question! I don't have time to browse threads!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by AllMarthas, Oct 5, 2013.

1. AllMarthas

AllMarthas New Egg

Sep 6, 2013
    OK, we had some losses. We also have a broody hen and a rare opportunity to just get a few day-old chicks. Can I just take the day olds and stick them under her? Will she think she hatched them and raise them as her own?

Also, we are out on the olympic peninsula....daytime highs are 60 at best and nighttime has been getting chilly. Is it too cold here to try and give broody hen new chicks? Should we heat the coop? Our girls are all Russian Orloffs. Available chicks will probably Buff Orps.

2. AllMarthas

AllMarthas New Egg

Sep 6, 2013
    OK, so I just found this gem of a link:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/503722/how-to-put-day-old-chicks-under-a-broody-hen

And I'm working through it. Anyone have any input on heating though? My broody mama hen has chosen to brood on the ground under the coop. It's raised up about 18 inches, maybe. The area she is broody in is enclosed on two sides with hardware mesh, on one side with wood, and open on the other side to the rest of the run enclosed around the coop. Is this safe for babies?

3. bops

bops Out Of The Brooder

Aug 3, 2013
    Ireland
    Ive seen stories of hens attacking the chicks so i would proceed with a lot of caution...

4. sdm111

sdm111 Overrun With Chickens

May 21, 2013
    S. louisiana
    I have a hen that was broody first time I switched eggs with chicks and she raised them second timeshe was ok for a couple days then started pecking at them so I had to take them out.

5. Sweet Gum Farm

Sweet Gum Farm Out Of The Brooder

May 14, 2013
    Cullman,AL
    What breed of chicken lays the best large brown eggs ,yet isn't broody and is a good forager ?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by