Quick question on brooders...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by steiggy, Oct 8, 2013.

1. steiggy

steiggy Out Of The Brooder

Sep 29, 2013
    Wisconsin
    Hi all!

I am beginning to gather things in anticipation of getting chicks in the spring. After lookin around BYC, I see a lot of people use Rubbermaid containers for brooders and I think this would work well for me. I plan on getting a 35 gallon container...but am unsure if this will be big enough to keep the chicks in until they can go in the coop. I am only getting 4...two light bramhas, two Orpingtons. Any advice would be much appreciated!

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I can’t help you on your specific question since I do it differently, but do you have adult chickens in your coop? Do you have electricity to your coop? If you can, why not put your brooder in the coop? That way you don’t have the noise, dust, or smell in your house.

I built a brooder in my coop. If I tried to raise chicks in the house, well, I want to stay married to my current wife. I raise them in the coop.

3. steiggy

Sep 29, 2013
    Wisconsin
    This will be my first batch of chickens actually. I am planning to get them in the spring (late April) and it will be far too cool out yet for them outside (I'm in Wisconsin). I won't be brooding them in my house, they will be out in my heated attached garage.

4. write2caroline

write2caroline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    They should be fine in the heated garage with a heat lamp.

Caroline

5. steiggy

Sep 29, 2013
    Wisconsin
    I am just wondering if they will outgrow a 35 gallon tub?

6. LTygress

LTygress Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2012
    Four of them? Not until they are ready to go outside, no. Anymore, and I would say yes.

7. steiggy

Sep 29, 2013
    Wisconsin
    Wonderful, thank you! Yes, I plan to keep them indoors only long enough for them to feather out enough to head outside. :)

8. showjumper_girl2002

showjumper_girl2002 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2011
    Florida
    another thing you can think of using is a baby play pen. that's what I use, it's really easy to find used ones that are really cheap. so far it's working out great and is plenty big enough for 2 to 4 chicks. I only suggest this because after a couple weeks you might have a problem with them jumping out of the rubber made lol. play pens have high walls so it's not as easy for them to fly out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by