1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Quick question on my baby cornish...

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by WhiteMountainsRanch, Oct 22, 2010.

1. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    On the "directions" from the hatchery it says...

"After two days of fresh water, give 3 days of vitamin supplement (Salisbury Soluble Vitamins and Electrolytes) in water at the recommended dosage level. This can be repeated for three days every other week. We do not recommend the use of vitamins and electrolytes on a continuing basis or their use above the manufacturers recommendation. The proper use of the vitamins and electrolytes in the water will help prevent leg weakness in broilers and turkeys"

So what should I do? Should I try and find that particular brand and follow their directions? Or should I be using Poly-vi-sol, or something else? Should I do the three day every other week, or should I not bother at all?
    Confused.

2. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:[​IMG] I never used any vitamins....Never noticed anything that said to from hatchery-but I still wouldnt have used them. Mine went right to the water and that was that! If I saw that they were looking really stressed or weak I would have though.

3. twister

twister Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2009
    Mississippi
    i use "broiler booster' in water, daily... got it from murray.

i was told to do that from a person w. lots of knowledge and experience in my area.

4. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    I don't think you need any of that. I just think they are trying to make money. Sometimes you might give them something if they had a long journey, I just use a little gatorade

5. eKo_birdies

eKo_birdies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2010
    Northern Colorado
    i just do a little og ACV with the mother and a little brown sugar

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by