QUICK QUESTION Opinion

Filly97

In the Brooder
May 31, 2020
Hi I wanted to ask a quick question... our babies are 3 days old and we lost the littlest one today. Sadly she never thrived. The remaining 6 are doing great! Anyway, the farm store still has more and I wanted to get an opinion... do you all think 2 new ones will be easily excepted at this stage of the game or is it too late? They are from the same flock if that helps...
I will go to the intro page and write my bio! I am excited to find this site, just needed to get this question out bc I need to make a decision asap or they will not hold them for me.
Thanks so much!!!
Filly :)

Oh yeah. At three days old you should be totally fine. Last year I got some that were a week younger (because I wanted some Polish and they were coming in later). They incorporated just fine. The trick will be resisting the desire to get more than two when you get there :wee .

They'll be fine! Shoot, I mix all sorts of ages together. I even briefly have freshly hatched ducklings in with chicks. They make very cute cuddle puddles.

Super! So I can just pop the 2 newbies in with the existing 6 and they will go after them? I would like to get 2 more

My set of 12 are all a couple weeks apart! I originally had 4, then decided to get more when they were a week old. Put the 1 day olds with the week olds and they were all cuddling together within half an hour. Then I got more one more week after that, plopped them in there with the others, and they cuddled in as well! Now the whole flock is inseparable, never had any problems. At this young age theyre only barely touching the surface of their pecking order.
I've even mixed in geese, ducks, guineas, and turkeys of different ages together with complete success.
I know the beginners mistake of not quarantining first, but I've luckily never experienced any problems in the slightest with it. None of my chicks have ever so much as pecked each other

LOL!! Thanks so much and you have all given me the confidence to get 2 more. There are only 2 Rocks left at the farm store so I am glad bc yes, I would def be very tempted. But I kinda feel good about giving the last 2 a good home. I will collect them in the morning.

It took everything in me not to get a roo with these new chicks. My beloved Clyde (long past but not forgotten) was my best bird friend ever and he was so beautiful. He was a golden laced Wyandotte. But I remember the mess he made on my hens backs with his claws. Dr Naylor and I became best friends lol! So as hard as it was... I opted for girlies only this time.

Back
Top Bottom