Quick Question Please before I stick my eggs in ~~~

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Chicks_N_Horses, May 6, 2009.

1. Chicks_N_Horses

Chicks_N_Horses Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    South Alabama
    I cleaned out the bator after hatching chicks yesterday and today my temps. are ready for eggs.

There is still a strong bleach smell in it. I rinsed it really well but it still smells strong. It is OK to go ahead and put in my eggs isn't it? Will the odor affect them?

2. MoodyChicken

MoodyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California
    Jack the humidity up, crack it open, and let it run for two days just to be safe.

3. Scraps

Scraps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2009
    End of a dirt road...
    I usually let mine bake in the sun for a few hours if it still smells bleachy after I clean it.

4. Chicks_N_Horses

Mar 30, 2009
    South Alabama
    I did let it sun dry yesterday.

I really need to put these eggs in tonight.
    They have been sitting long enough.

Now I'm scared to. I did rinse really really good but it just smells of bleach.

5. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Is it a styrafoam incubator? That is exactly the reason I dont clean the styrafoam with bleach, only the plastic tray.

I use Peroxide and spray down the incubator, then rinse with hot water. Peroxide doesnt stink like bleach.

6. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Open it up and rinse it out really quick and wet, let it air for a bit. close it then monitor it for temps'& smell.

AL

7. Chicks_N_Horses

Mar 30, 2009
    South Alabama
    Quote:Yeppers, styrafoam [​IMG]

This is my first time cleaning and I think I over-did it [​IMG] I soaked it down with bleach water.

I will use the peroxide next time...thanks for that tip.

I am going to try and rinse it again and get my temps back up to 101 before I go to bed. Hopefully it will work and the smell will ease.

8. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    Use vinegar to wipe it out. Otherwise just let it dry. Higher humidity will not help. You want it dry. Bleach turns to harmless salts when dry and should leave no smell but with all the little gaps in styrofoam it may take awhile to dry. Leaving it in the sun would dry it faster. Or you could just wipe it with vinegar which will neutralize the bleach and evaporate faster. I generally only wash my incubators with vinegar and then just soak them with bleach occasionally when I've done several hatches in a row.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by