1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Quick Question (sexing)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Gnawsey, May 22, 2007.

1. Gnawsey

Gnawsey Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2007
    Hello everyone,

I had originally ordered 3 chicks from my feed store, and ended up with 4. lol My little Buff Orp, died at the hands of my cat, so I replaced her with a black australorp and a buff Brahma and a much more cat proof brooder.

They are a little over 3 weeks old. I've been noticing the brahma's comb is pinker than the others. Is it to early to tell if she is a he? I wish I had another buff brahma to compare her to.

Thanks,

Stacie

2. eggchel

eggchel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Dec 26, 2006
    Both Coasts
    It is always best to compare them to others of the same breed, but often you can just tell by how early it gets color. However, I dont know specifically about brahmas. sorry.

chel

3. barg

barg Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2007
    My doms were getting pink by 3 weeks. And even compareing them just lead me to belive one was male anyway, One had more comb and wattles.
    If you look back at my posts you can see my panic ridden plee's for, "make it a pullet". Seems my requests were answerd, all still seem female here [​IMG]

But I too have no idea about your breed.

Last edited: May 23, 2007
  4. Gnawsey

Gnawsey Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2007
    Thanks for the answers. I guess I will just wait and see. She (Zelda) is one of our favorites and I'm really hoping she is a pullet. Gosh, I'm not a very patience person. This will be hard. [​IMG]

Stacie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by