1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Quick question. When Do Cochin Roosters Mature?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Studio2770, Oct 29, 2013.

1. Studio2770

Studio2770 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2013
    I believe they mature at the same rate as the females, which is around 6 months. Just because a cockerel starts crowing, doesn't mean he is ready to mount, right?

2. my sunwolf

my sunwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

I have tested, and watched the older hen's eggs for fertility, and found that my younger roosters have become fertile as early as 16 weeks, even though their sisters did not start laying until at least 20 or 24 weeks. Whether or not these eggs would properly develop into chicks, I didn't test that. Cockerels will start mounting pullets or hens as early as 8 or 12 weeks, but of course they are not fertile this young (though I have heard some stories...)

3. Studio2770

Apr 29, 2013
    Wow! That early?! It looked like our cockerel mounted his "sister." They're 18 weeks old.

4. my sunwolf

my sunwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

He may already be fertile, but of course if the females aren't laying eggs, it's impossible to know! Is he hatchery or breeder stock? Hatchery birds are the ones who will mature (males included) at extremely young ages. Breeder birds will usually take longer, be that 6 months, 8 months, or even older (at least, for the females).

5. Studio2770

Apr 29, 2013
    I think he's hatchery but I'm not sure. I got him from Callahan's General Store.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by