Quick question: Will chickens breed with there parents/offspring and is this bad??

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by amandamcgrady, Mar 18, 2012.

1. amandamcgrady

amandamcgrady New Egg

Mar 18, 2012
    Just wondering if there insticts will tell them not to do this? Or is it not a problem at all?? Thanks.

2. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    yes they will breed with their offspring, there is no instinct to prevent that with any animal that I know of.

For the most part, it will cause no harm, over generations, imbreeding can bring forth less desirable traits or deformities. But it can also emphasis traits wanted.

MrsK

3. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Animals have NO morals. That's a human thing and even that is becoming more rare. They will breed any hen or rooster, no matter how closely related. That said, brother sister matings are really close and sometimes lead to defects. Father X daughter, or mother X son is usually acceptable, up to about 6 generations. That is referred to as "inbreeding" and is desireable at times. Very common in show birds and rare bloodlines......Pop

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Humans are about the only animals that don't do that. We have a sense of morality, animals don't. Any male will mate any female in season he can physically cover. Usually not a problem until it's been unchecked for several generations, or the first generation has underirable traits from the start, those will only be maginifed.

5. amandamcgrady

amandamcgrady New Egg

Mar 18, 2012
    Thanks for quick response. Great answers, thanks for your time!! Duley noted :)

6. Vtown

Vtown New Egg

Feb 24, 2013
    Wolves do not mate with their offspring.

7. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008

Sorry, I don't think you understood the question; it was about chickens.

8. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I think Vtown was responding to donrae's post, not the OP original question.

9. Zaxby's2

Zaxby's2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    a place
    I also heard about a gorilla that didn't mate with another gorilla that it had been raised with because it thought it was her brother

10. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008

WOW, thanks for explaining that to me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by