quick question!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by flossyfelix, Nov 12, 2016.

1. flossyfelix

flossyfelix Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2016
    Lumberton, North Carolina
    Is it OK to feed my 2 Pekins "Game Duck Chow"?? Or could that be causing an overfilled crop? I sent my mother to the store & she didn't get their normal All Flock... (she didn't have a clue there was even a difference- in her defense.)

2. DwayneNLiz

DwayneNLiz ...lost... Premium Member

Jun 18, 2013
    NH
    you would want to do a comparison on the protein and vitamins to their other feed

3. flossyfelix

Nov 10, 2016

My girl was very swollen the past couple of days in the breast area- it happened after I gave them the Game Chow- last night I didn't put any food in the house w/ them, like I was told; this morning she was back to normal, but I just went outside to check on them & she's back swollen again. This time more so on her right side.

4. flossyfelix

Nov 10, 2016
    This is the first time she's ever been like this! It can't be coincidence, can it??

5. DwayneNLiz

DwayneNLiz ...lost... Premium Member

Jun 18, 2013
    NH
    it could be, i think you are noticing her crop:

FIGURE 10. Digestive tract of the geese
    [​IMG]
    1. Oesophagus
    2. Crop
    3. Proventriculus
    4. Gizzard
    5. Pancreas
    6. Duodenum
    7. Liver
    8. Gallbladder
    9. Ileum
    10. Caecum
    11. Cloaca​

The crop holds the food for digesting, and so long as it is empty in the morning after not having food at night, it sounds like it is working properly

1 person likes this.
  6. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Did she eat? I am confused...........I do not think the feed will hurt them........

Cheers!

7. Bills vs Beaks

Bills vs Beaks Overrun With Chickens

Aug 31, 2016
    NJ USA
    chickens really she pigged on the food and got a fat crop[​IMG]
    flossyfelix nothing to worry about, unless you are noticing other things like coughing, limping, ect(which means something else is wrong, then you ask us about it[​IMG]). My ducks do it all the time, your duck probably likes this food more lol
    X2 on what DwayneNLiz said

Last edited: Nov 12, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  8. flossyfelix

Nov 10, 2016
    I didn't give her food in their house again last night & she was emptied again this morning! Also, it didn't seem to get all full again today! It was definitely her crop! I didn't even think about her liking the food better@Bills vs Beaks!! & other than her being all big in the breast she was acting completely normal! She is a petite thing so it was very noticeable. Everything is good now though. Thank you everybody! I am so glad I finally decided to join the HTC family!! I can already see I will learn alot!

9. Bills vs Beaks

Bills vs Beaks Overrun With Chickens

Aug 31, 2016
    NJ USA
    Cool! I just thought with game bird there's prob'ly more protein and whatnot in it so she likes it more
    We are glad to have you with us!

10. lomine

lomine Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2015
    Peyton, CO
    Not sure if Game Duck Chow is the same as Game/Show feed but if it is you need to cut the protein levels immediately. The Game/Show feed I buy for my quail is 26% protein and that is way too high. As was stated before you need to check the label for nutritional information.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by