1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

quick question

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by UPSTATE CHICKEN CHASER, May 9, 2009.

1. UPSTATE CHICKEN CHASER

UPSTATE CHICKEN CHASER New Egg

May 7, 2009
    Upstate New York
    What age rooster should I get for my flock ? I have 6 redsex links that are about 10 weeks old. Does it matter on the age of the rooster ?

Thanks Upstate [​IMG]

2. tackyrama

tackyrama Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2008
    Central Minnesota USA
    At least one year old to three yrs or so. Are your chickens free range? If so try to find a young rooster from a free range flock. It will have experience if watching after the hens. One rooster will do for your flock.

3. UPSTATE CHICKEN CHASER

May 7, 2009
    Upstate New York
    Quote:Thanks for the reply [​IMG] .... The rooster that im going to get is a 1yr old Buff Brahma . So it sounds like I should be good to go [​IMG]

4. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Actually, a 1 yr old roo may not work well with only 10 week old pullets. I would try to get one closer to their age. Or wait until they are mature and laying and then add an adult roo.

5. UPSTATE CHICKEN CHASER

May 7, 2009
    Upstate New York
    Quote:Thanks [​IMG] .. should I get a younger roo now or should I wait till they start laying to get one . Also when should I start letting them free range . They have a big run now but they wont stay in it forever.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by