quick question

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by djackjr, May 14, 2009.

1. djackjr

djackjr Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2008
    Graham Wa.
    how often do you clean the brooder, mine are in a huge rubber maid tub 4 feet long by two feet wide and deep. I have shavings in the bottom about a 1/2 inch thick with 9 chicks about week too two weeks old I think, I forgot to ask the feed store how old they were last weekend when I got them!

2. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Answers would vary a lot. Might be the best answer is, when it stinks enough. If they are in your house, you will want to do this a lot more often than if they are outdoors in a coop, garage, whatever. You can just add more shavings for a long time and stir, rather than clean out and start over.

3. ChickieNikki

ChickieNikki Chillin' With My Peeps

thanks for asking this, and thanks for answering--mine are in the same container, and i'll switch them to pellets day after tomorrow. when it stinks is good enough for me!

4. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    I had my 13 on newspaper and changed it once or twice a day.

5. LilbitChicken

LilbitChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    Hello, we have 8 inside.....I change the paper towel.....shavings....3x a day.....but it depends on what you think you need to do! [​IMG]

6. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Quote:Not recommended. Too slippery, can lead to splayed leg.

7. Lil Chickie Mama

Lil Chickie Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    California
    I have the same kind of bin and I had mine on rice hulls covered with paper towels. The first week and a half I was a paranoid wreck (first timer here) and changed the towels at least once a day. Now I leave it about 2-3 days and then change it. I figure they ought to get used to it a little as I will be using the Deep Litter Method in the coop. They don't seem to mind, I just have to be extra careful when I play with them. And I double wash my hands in HOT water after.

8. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    What does your nose say to do?[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by