Quick Question

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by fishman65, Oct 14, 2009.

1. fishman65

fishman65 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    flat rock
    in my chick order two months ago a light brahma snuck into my buff orpington shipment. As always the brahma is a rooster and i was wondering if he will breed with my buffs? If possible what would the chicks look like?

2. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    He would HAPPILY mate with the Orpingtons! Maybe the chicks would be Buff Columbian?

3. fishman65

Apr 18, 2009
    flat rock
    would they be feather footed like the brahma or clean legged like my buff orps??
    anybody have a pic of a light brahma/buff orpington cross??

4. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Your first generation chicks would have this result:

50% Pullets, black patterned silver (incomplete) columbian clearnecked
    50% Cockerels, black patterned yellow/golden (incomplete) columbian clearnecked

(results from Henk's chicken calculator)

You'd get some sparse leg feathering. You could probably breed it out and work on the columbian pattern, but you'd also have to breed away from the brahma pea comb( if you wanted columbian Orps, that is)

It gets confusing when you combine gold (buff) and silver (white). Some of the people in the genetics forum may have more info or pics for ya. [​IMG]

5. fishman65

Apr 18, 2009
    flat rock
    thanks for the help. guess i will have to find my big boy a new home before he starts crowing and chasing my girls.[​IMG]

6. KDbeads

KDbeads Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2009
    East Central VA
    Quote:Where can I find this?? Google didn't have anything that looked like the right link.....

7. KDbeads

KDbeads Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2009
    East Central VA
    Ahhh... thanks!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by