1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

quick question

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kywilber, Nov 12, 2009.

1. kywilber

kywilber Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2009
    Lewisburg, Ky.
    how old would you think the chicks would have to be before they can jump/fly out of a 20 inch high water tub???

edited for spelling

Last edited: Nov 12, 2009
  2. ThePamperedPullet

ThePamperedPullet Chillin' With My Peeps

Depends on the breed but usually about 2 to 3 weeks

3. K8tieCat

K8tieCat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Northern California
    I was going to say about 20 minutes! Mine started flying out of a 36" play pen at 2 weeks.

4. Cornychick

Cornychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    Sebastian County, AR
    My standards started at about 3 weeks.

5. kywilber

kywilber Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2009
    Lewisburg, Ky.
    mine are 6-9 days old and i am watching them jump and flap thier wing off of the food tray and mini roost that i have in thier.. they can get up to about 10-12 inchs sofar. I reckon i need to go buy some chicken wire and put ontop of the tub. I have learned so much sofar and i don't think the learning is over yet. They will be going in the garage monday after all my company leaves as the garage is the party place. In the garage i will build them a 8ftx8ftx4ft area to give me some room to play areound. I ended up with alot more than expected so they are starting to outgrow thier area as i am typing.

i have 12 crosses and 30 rir.... I ended up hatching some eggs for a friend and his wife wants nothing to do with them so i eneded up with extra....

edited for spelling...i need a spellcheck button...[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 12, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by