Quick question

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by dbunni, Aug 7, 2010.

1. dbunni

dbunni Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2009
    Ohio
    My daughter has a few mallard/mallardx ducks she is using for fair. Right now they are in a fairly controlled area where flight is not toooo much of an issue. But for fair it is another story. years ago, when i was in 4-h, we clipped one wing to help control them leaving. I need suggestions as to how to stop these kids from escaping at the fair. They will be in a nice size area outside where flight will be easy to take. Our county gives the kids with waterfowl an area big enough to put a kids pool for them to play in! Nice if you have heavys not so nice if you have lights who like to fly!

Thank you ... Oh we have 5 weeks to fair.

2. TK Poultry

TK Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    So you are asking how to stop them from flying? Well to clip there wings is the first thing that comes to mind but you really can't show them with a cut wing. Do you guys have individual cages or something they go in? I just usually put my pools in their cages so that they don't have to leave the cage.

3. dbunni

dbunni Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2009
    Ohio
    No cages. They use cattle/hog panels & fencing and make large squared houses attached to the barns ... outside. The animals have a good 3-5 feet to get a running start! Was thinking about asking if we could use a turkey house inside and then put a little pool in it. But if there are too many turks that will not be an option either. If we offbalance cut feathers, what is the fewest we can get away with?

Last edited: Aug 7, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by