Quick Question

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by countrygirl911, Sep 25, 2010.

1. countrygirl911

countrygirl911 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2010
    Mississippi
    I know this question is probably stupid but for the past 2 days one of my 21 week old BR pullet has been submitting to the roo the other 8 21 week olds could care less and runs away from the roo but not this little girl my question is if she is submitting to the roo is she close to laying an egg if so about how long do you think it will be. I know i do not have to have a roo for eggs but since she is submitting to him i was just wondering if she was close to laying

2. Princess Poppycock

Princess Poppycock Out Of The Brooder

Sep 12, 2010
    "Close" is a matter of perception. Yes, it's a sign of maturity, which means she's getting closer to being ready to lay. But there or other factors as well. Have her combs and waddles developed? Are they a nice, bright red? And most important, is she ready? Chickens have their own time table and they alter it for no man (or woman). I have 2 BRs that are clearly "ready", but haven't started to lay yet. Which means it could happen any time now, but I still may be waiting a bit until they decide it's time.

HTH! [​IMG]

Poppy

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    When mine were ready or thinking about it, my roo would go into the nest box with them like he was saying " well what do you think about this one honey" very sweet

4. geebs

geebs Lovin' the Lowriders!

Sep 28, 2008
    She is turning into a full grown woman.... (uh chicken hen).. he he. [​IMG]

5. countrygirl911

Jun 17, 2010
    Mississippi
    her waddles and comb are big and bright red all day i have been checking on her and when i go out there when i get close you can hear her clucking she gets loud and then stops for a little bit then starts again she use to make a growling sound now she is clucking like she is ready. The coop is a good distance away from the house. when i watch her when she is clucking she squats down like she is going to poo but nothing then walks more and does it again could this be a sign that is is trying to lay that first egg sorry for all the confusion and questions i just want to make sure that they are healthy and when i should start to worry if they are not laying

6. tuesdays chicks

tuesdays chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    stuart florida
    it sounds like she is close, but saying that I have 1 pullet out of 3 squatting for me and she is the only 1 not laying she's been doing it for couple days now and everyday I say maybe today and no egg so I'll go to work tomorrow and try not to think about it.

7. jaimslee4u

jaimslee4u Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2009
    Maine
    egg dance [​IMG]

8. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    Check around, she may be hiding her eggs someplace--they can find the darnedest place to do that.

9. countrygirl911

Jun 17, 2010
    Mississippi
    we check every where in the coop and run there is no place to hide and we have not seen any eggs yet unless they are tiny and plend in with some of the rocks that are in there we do not let them out in the yard due to the big dogs that roam free in our area so that is why we made such a big run it is so hard waiting for that first egg. I told my husband that he needs to go outside and give them a pep talk lol maybe if i stop wondering and looking they will lay. If she is submitting to the roo does that mean that she is close i always thought that they would not submit to the roo till they are close to laying

10. tuesdays chicks

tuesdays chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    stuart florida
    it doesn't get any easier waiting for the 3rd 1st egg either.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by