1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

quick question

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by outdoor junkie, Apr 8, 2011.

1. outdoor junkie

outdoor junkie Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2011
    Flushing
    I have always thought it would be cool to have a pet turkey, I love watching them in the wild, I am a hunter and think they are one of the coolest smartest animals roaming our woods. My question is is it possible to only have a Tom as a pet, or do they need to be accompanied by a hen or two. Also how would they do with my chickens? Thanks guys, if it's not recommended i will hold off.

2. Dogfish

Dogfish Rube Goldberg incarnate

Mar 17, 2010
    Western Washington
    Get them a hen or two or three. Watching them intereact is a beer worthy event in the evening.

They make great watchdogs. Check your extension office to see if there are issues with blackhead in your area, which is a disease transmitted between chickens and turkeys. I've been lucky so far raising the two together.

3. outdoor junkie

outdoor junkie Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2011
    Flushing
    Thank you, i really just wanted a Tom, but if it's not wise I'll wait.

4. draftiemama

draftiemama Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Florida
    I.M.O. Toms make great pets.

I've had Floyd for 10 years, he's nicknamed turkeydog because he behaves like a dog occasionally. He ambles out to greet guests, comes when called, poses for the camera, doesn't take any crap from my "real" dogs, he's just a cool turkey and I love him to death!

I urge you to get one.

And if I may be so bold to post a picture.[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Mardi Gras party

5. ColbyNTX

ColbyNTX Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Woods, TX
    They will do fine without a hen but what do you have aginst the ladies? You don't want him mating the chickens or DW in the breeding season. [​IMG] Turkeys are a blast and my fear is that if you have wilds in your area then he will hear that yelp in the woods next spring and wonder off to do his deed.

6. Echos_dad

Echos_dad Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2009
    Elbert County, Colorado
    The Mardi Gras Pic is a [​IMG]

7. royturkcross

royturkcross Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2011
    I also have a friend that has tom that is about 10 years old. His tom has never seen another turkey hen and does just fine. He even has him in with a whole bunch of chickens and the tom doesn't try to mount them or anything. My friend really likes his tom!!!

8. Dogfish

Dogfish Rube Goldberg incarnate

Mar 17, 2010
    Western Washington
    Turkeys have 10 times the personality of a chicken. Seriously. Between my chickens, pheasants, quail and turkeys on our farm, by far, the turkeys are my favorites. You would be doing yourself a dis-service if you were not looking into one. He also deserves to be happy. They don't eat much, maybe an extra bag or two of feed per month for my 5 turkeys. They are not a bother at all to raise.

9. Louise's Country Closet

Louise's Country Closet Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Garrison, MN
    I'm a turkey pusher too!! I love my chickens don't get me wrong but a turkey has SO MUCH personality!! We have 4 and I wouldn't trade them for anything [​IMG]

10. ColbyNTX

ColbyNTX Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Woods, TX
    Quote:[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by