1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Quick question..

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by RandyChickens, Jun 23, 2011.

1. RandyChickens

RandyChickens Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2011
    Austin, Texas
    I have two different types of chickens, I'm not sure what breed they are. One is brown with whitish colored feathers and one is black. My question is, is there any way to breed these two chickens? They both lay eggs, so I'm not exactly sure on how to pollinate them, I got them from my friend.

2. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    Quote:Um you can't breed two hens together you would need to get a rooster if you want fertile eggs.

3. RandyChickens

Jun 23, 2011
    Austin, Texas
    Quote:Um you can't breed two hens together you would need to get a rooster if you want fertile eggs.

Can't you pollinate the eggs or something? That's what my friend told me. He said I'd be able to make a lot of them.. He gave me about 10 chickens but I only have 2 left.

4. Teresaann24

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky

Can't you pollinate the eggs or something? That's what my friend told me. He said I'd be able to make a lot of them.. He gave me about 10 chickens but I only have 2 left.

No you can not do it yourself you have to get an adult rooster of breeding age to breed the hens to have fertile eggs there is no other way I mean you can have them AI.

5. RandyChickens

Jun 23, 2011
    Austin, Texas
    Quote:Can't you pollinate the eggs or something? That's what my friend told me. He said I'd be able to make a lot of them.. He gave me about 10 chickens but I only have 2 left.

No you can not do it yourself you have to get an adult rooster of breeding age to breed the hens to have fertile eggs there is no other way I mean you can have them AI.

I'm pretty sure I'm right. I'll just google it, thanks anyways.

6. Teresaann24

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    Without a rooster your only other Option is AI and you still need a rooster to do that or someone with a rooster who would do it. There is no other way to get fertile eggs. I grew up my whole life with chickens and have been raising my own for the last 5 years so I think I would know.

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Gee I wonder what Google could possibly have to say about this.

8. buildingmyark

buildingmyark Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2010
    Louisiana
    Quote:[​IMG] I'm interested to know as well. I hope they let us know. [​IMG]

9. johnnyg07

johnnyg07 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 3, 2011
    north haven ct
    Theres this powder you can sprinkle on them 2 times a day for 21 days....ill ask my ferrygodmother i think she has 2 pouches left.....(im joking bythe way ....i figured ide poin that out).....they are animals not flowers....im not trying to be rude but its like saying I have 3 girls and i want them to have babies instead of just having their period... but im not going to have sex with them or AI them im just going to polinate them.....i didnt get an A in Biology but they are mamals just like us and even though they lay eggs instead of keeping them in their tummies for 9 months its the same principal...again sorry if that sounded rude or curde but ima dude [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 23, 2011
  10. aubreynoramarie

aubreynoramarie designated lawn flamingo

May 27, 2010
    Reno, Nevada
    LOL, basic biology will simply state that unless the animal is a unisex, you're gonna need a male and a female to make babies....

That's just the way it works.

But I don't want to be the one who has "the talk" with you. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by