Quick question

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Splinty, Jun 30, 2011.

1. Splinty

Splinty Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2011
    New York
    Hi.... I know this has been discussed before but with all the different answers I'm not really sure what to do. We are new to chickens and I was wondering if it will be ok to put them in their chicken tractor soon. I am having a b-day party for my daughter on July 10th and there will be kids here. I really don't want the kids fighting over holding them so my husband is working really hard on getting the tractor finished before then. The chicks will be almost 4 weeks old by the party (shy of 1 month by 3 days). I figured if I can get them out of the brooder for a few hours, locked in the tractor then the kids can just look at them. I live on Long Island and the daytime temps have been in the upper 80's to low 90's. I will still bring them inside at night till they are a little older unless someone on here says they can just live out there at that age. I have been turning off the lamp during the day right now because it is hot. They stay in my sunroom and they are eating Manna Pro Medicated Chick Starter. Any help will be very appreciated. Thank You

2. mljohnson05

mljohnson05 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Missouri
    Yes...It will be ok to keep them in there for a few hours....If they are not feathered all the way out...you just need to make sure to watch for signs on them being to hot or to cold.

Hope you have a great Birthday...

Best Wishes,
    Laura

3. Splinty

Jun 14, 2011
    New York
    Thanks. They seem to be getting slot of feathers already. I am kinda shocked to see them with all the feathers and them changing colors.

4. JanetR

JanetR Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2011
    Long Island NY
    My almost 4 weeks old chicks were out most of the afternoon today. I make sure they have sun and shade so they can choose where to be. Let's hope July 10th is a nice warm day. [​IMG]
    Where on LI are you? I'm in East Hampton.

5. Splinty

Jun 14, 2011
    New York
    Quote:Last year for her birthday we had heavy rain. Not fun:( We live in Selden. Do you sell chicks? We are only allowed to have 6 hens, no roosters so we started out with just 3. I wish I had ordered the black australorp I wanted but my hubby thought 3 would good to start with but I still want one.[​IMG]

6. JanetR

JanetR Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2011
    Long Island NY
    Quote:Last year for her birthday we had heavy rain. Not fun:( We live in Selden. Do you sell chicks? We are only allowed to have 6 hens, no roosters so we started out with just 3. I wish I had ordered the black australorp I wanted but my hubby thought 3 would good to start with but I still want one.[​IMG]

No I don't sell chicks. These are my first ever, got them from Agway in Riverhead. Their minimum is 6 chicks.

7. ajay

ajay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2011
    They'll be fine. My girls went out full time at 4 weeks and had spent a week or so out during the day. They are doing great. Enjoy your party!

8. gale65

gale65 Chillin' With My Peeps

Our chicks were outside in the coop from day 1 but from about 3.5 weeks they were out in the run all day and we quit using the heat lamp just past 4 weeks (lows of about 55 to 60 then).

9. Splinty

Jun 14, 2011
    New York
    Thank you everyone for your responses. It will make me feel better leaving them out there now. JanetR, I'll tell my husband about Agway in Riverhead. I only have 1 feed store close to me and they don't sell chicks. I called another Agway closer to me but they don't really sell much chicken supplies. Out by you there is more farm land then by me so you prob have better stores out there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by