Quick Question

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jdr250, May 16, 2008.

1. jdr250

jdr250 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2008
    After a sleepless night on my part, the 2 and 3 week old chicks did well out in the coop with a heat lamp all night. My question is this. Today is rainy and a high temp of 65 should I open the door to the run and let them venture out if they want or keep them inside today? I don't want them to get cold and wet, but the heat lamp is on. What do you think?

2. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I'd leave them in and wait for a nice day.

3. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    I'd leave the door closed and wait for warmer weather to let them out. They will be fine inside today. My older chicks who are now 9 weeks old, get a little miffed when it's cool and raining, because I make them stay in. They survive it though! [​IMG]

Congrats on surviving the first night in the coop! That's a tough on to get through! [​IMG] We've all been there.

4. jdr250

jdr250 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2008
    Thanks, it was tough. The window by my bed faces the coop so about 15 times last night I got up and looked out to make sure the light was still on. All these horrible thoughts running through my mind what if the light burns out and it's cold out, what if the lamp falls down and catches the bedding on fire, what if the light isn't enough and I go out in the morning and they're all dead...OMG I'm tired....LOL
    But this morning when I went out they were fine all running around. The only thing I noticed is that they didn't eat as much as usual. Usually the trough is almost empty in the morning when they're in the house, but it was still half full. Of course they were out in the run all day yesterday so had plenty of bugs (extra since my son loves digging up bugs for them and having them all run over and grab them out of his hand) and leaves.
    But yes tough puts it mildly, I even dreamed about the chicks during my short cat naps last night...LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by