Quick question

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by super rooster, Sep 24, 2011.

1. super rooster

super rooster Out Of The Brooder

Sep 23, 2011
    ok I know this is the same old question. I just bought 7 new hens mostly RIR. Also I have 2 spec Sussix and 2 Ameraucana. Everybody was laying really good, now everybody has went on strike. I did change there diet, the guy i bought the hens from was strickly feeding cracked corn. I am feeding Dumor laying mash. Is the change of diet the culprit or is the new coop and run. Or maybe a combination of both. I have 11 hens and one roo. The coop is 8x12 and the run is 10x32.[​IMG]

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    [​IMG] sounds like you have a nice setup for them, but any changes takes time to feel comfortable with so give them some time, and you did the right thing in changing their diet which will be another bonus for you and healthier hens. All the best.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2011
  3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    How old are these hens? They could be going into a molt.

4. super rooster

Sep 23, 2011
    I think 2 years. I thought maybe that could be it. But i am now seeing feathers? Is there something else to look for when a hen goes to molt?

5. t/m

t/m Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2011
    Smith Mountain Lake, VA
    The layer mash has protein (that the corn did not) which helps feathers. Glad you're feeding them better also! I believe (from reading) when feathers come in during molt you have a rapid molter, a good thing!

6. Happy Chooks

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Quote:Mine stop laying for a week or two, then you start seeing feathers everywhere. It seriously looks like someone had a pillow fight - the first time I saw it, it freaked me out thinking I lost a bird to a predator.

Here's my buttercup last year about 1/2 way through her molt.
    [​IMG]

And here showing off her one tail feather:
    [​IMG]

7. super rooster

Sep 23, 2011
    Thanksk for the pic. No I dont believe that is the issue. How long does the molt usually last on average.

8. Happy Chooks

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Quote:Depends on the hen. Most mine take 3 months to start laying again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by