Quick question

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by hungry4eggs, Feb 1, 2013.

1. hungry4eggs

hungry4eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2013
    Cataula Georgia
    For added vitamins and nutrients can I add hummingbird food to my chicks water. I have not done it but wanted info in case one needed a boost.

2. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    I'm not sure what is in hummingbird feed. I use 2 cups of sugar per gallon of warm water the first day chicks set foot in a sterilized brooder. From that day forward I give clean tap water except for vitamin-electrolyte-probiotics labeled for use with baby chicks in the water a couple days that first week. Sav-A-Chick is a good brand of vitamins for chicks. GQF and Agrilabs makes a good product too.

3. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

X2 what Micheal Apple said. Although I've never used sugar water. I just use Save-A-Chick for a few days after they arrive, it really perks them right up. If I see signs of pasty butt I'll use some ACV and that clears it right up.

4. hungry4eggs

Jan 29, 2013
    Cataula Georgia
    What is ACV I have one with pasty butt the rest are fine.

5. gmabry75

gmabry75 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2013
    Brandon, MS
    Sorry for thread jacking, but how much acv do you put in one gallon of water. I've read many threads and it seems no one does the same amount. Also is it fine to have the save a chick and acv in the water together. Thanks, Greg

6. gmabry75

gmabry75 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2013
    Brandon, MS
    Apple cider vinegar

7. hungry4eggs

Jan 29, 2013
    Cataula Georgia
    Cool thanks I looked for it in abreviations and didn't see it. I will add a little to the water.

8. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

I use a teaspoon of ACV to a one quart chick waterer. I don't mix the acv with the Save-A-Chick just because I was never sure if it was ok to do so.

9. LadyLuck

LadyLuck Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2012
    they chick with pasty butt needs to have it's bottom cleaned off, not just add the ACV. If it isn't too bad you should be able to clean with a damp paper towel, if it is good and stuck, you might have to dip it's little bum in a dish of warm water (I had to do this with one I got a chicken swap and it seemed to greatly enjoy the warmth, drifted right off to sleep as I held it).

10. hungry4eggs

Jan 29, 2013
    Cataula Georgia
    I made sure to clean it as soon I discovered it and have kept an eye on her the last couple days.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by