Quick Questions

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Robin Bruck, Jan 19, 2015.

1. Robin Bruck

Robin Bruck Out Of The Brooder

Jan 18, 2015
    Hello,

We are new to BYC [​IMG]. Our 6 baby female chicks will be arriving March 14th and we had 2 quick questions. A member of our family was concerned about the smell and the noise. We have friends who have chickens and regret getting them because of the noise and smell. We live close to our neighbors pool and house but there is a fence in between so we are concerned that the neighbors will smell and hear them when they are swimming.
    So my 2 questions are:
    -How much noise do they make? And which ones make more noise than others(we are getting, ameraucana's, EE's, and olive egger's)?
    -How can we prevent smell and will it be that strong that the neighbors could smell it?

Thanks to anyone that replies, we are so excited for our baby chicks to arrive [​IMG]

2. Outpost JWB

Outpost JWB Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2014
    Ohio
    I am excited for you and [​IMG] Chickens DO smell and they do make noise. People DO smell and they make noise. (Couldn't resist[​IMG])

I don't want to burst your bubble, but my 2 noisiest chickens are my olive egger and easter egger. They "talk" a lot. As for the smell, it all depends on how often you are cleaning the coop, and your coop set up. I have seen coops clean enough to eat in. I have also seen coops that I wouldn't touch with a 10 foot pole. If I were you, I would do research on bedding types for them and make a decision on what is best for your climate. The smell here is definitely worse in the summer. Don't know where you are located, but you should take heat factors into consideration. Also make sure 1st that your area allows chickens. Just don't want you to fall in love with them only to learn your area doesn't allow them.

Sorry your friends have regrets on their chickens. Some people are not chicken people. I have no regrets[​IMG]

3. Robin Bruck

Jan 18, 2015
    Okay thank you! We live in New Hampshire so it can get to around 95ish in the summer on hot days. Do you think you could hear the chickens from far away like from inside the house?

4. Robin Bruck

Jan 18, 2015
    Oh I forgot to ask what would be the best bedding to use for the brooder and the coop.

5. Outpost JWB

Outpost JWB Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2014
    Ohio
    Many people successfully use wood chips. They seem to be neater than straw. I use straw because I buy it at a discount and it is more economical for our farm.

I have 53(ish) chickens. My neighbor closest to me hears them on the warm days when they are out free ranging by our chain link fence. He also hears my roosters shout out every morning at 3am when I am leaving for work!!![​IMG] Thankfully, he is retired and he goes to bed when I leave for work. (Night owl). You said you only have hens though, so that shouldn't be a problem. The hens will sing the egg song also and can get quite noisy during that process..... sometimes.

If I were you, I would talk with the neighbors and make sure they are all on board with you getting chickens. Otherwise you could be fighting a losing battle. I am able to give my neighbors free eggs which makes it easier for them to put up with the occasional hen flying over the fence, or when the 13 roosters decide to have a crow contest.

6. Tatiana110

Tatiana110 Chillin' With My Peeps

Wood chips are great bedding for coop and run. If you have a thick layer, there is virtually no foul smell, as wood chips will absorb ammonia. Wood chips + chicken manure = great compost. :)

Unlike wood shavings, there is no need to change wood chips bedding. Just add another shovel, when you think it gets a bit 'dirty'. Then clean it out once or twice a year. Easy :)

As for noise, I'd explore some natural hedges that muffle sounds - i.e., bamboo.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2015
    1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by