Quick Reponse Requested - Chick May be Stuck in Egg?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by kprhok, Sep 21, 2009.

1. kprhok

kprhok Out Of The Brooder

Feb 18, 2009
    After what seemed to be four weeks of waiting, I decided to remove the eggs from a hen's nest to avoid having to deal with crushed rotten eggs (this has happened before).

I discovered, however, that in one egg a chick is alive and chirping!

I don't know if it's stuck, whether the mom will try to help it peck its way out, whether I should intervene at all. I can't believe this is a live egg.. I had given them many days beyond delivery date to hatch and had just given up hope. There is no sign of life in the remaining two eggs, no movement chirping etc.

Again, should I do anything or just watch and wait? Does it hurt to crack open the shell if the chick is inside chirping away?

I am relatively new at the whole thing.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2009
  2. chickenlittle32

chickenlittle32 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Rayne Louisiana
    I'd put it back under the hen. The chick hatched itself but needs the heat and humidity so that it doesn't dry out inside the egg. Some just end up taking a little longer than others to develop.

3. kprhok

Feb 18, 2009
    Its under the hen now. Seems that if it's chirping, it would be ready to come out and needs air, etc..

Can they chirp and still not be ready for couple of days?

4. chickenlittle32

Apr 19, 2009
    Rayne Louisiana
    Could be anywhere from a few hours or even a day or 2 LOL this is the longest waiting period (seems that way for me anyway) is waiting on them to hatch..

5. kprhok

Feb 18, 2009
    Thanks very much!!! for your quick response. I feel better now.

6. GaNewChick

GaNewChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    McDonough, Ga.
    Yep ~ he/she is just making it's announcement ... "I'm on my way."

Good luck! [​IMG]

7. chickenlittle32

Apr 19, 2009
    Rayne Louisiana
    You are very welcome! Can't wait to see pics of it when it hatches!

8. SunshineSilkies

SunshineSilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2009
    Florida
    Saturday was day 21 for my hatch. All hatched on time. I had 4 eggs left in the incubator. Before I dispose of the eggs, I always like to see if there was development in the egg. I was on my last egg, & when I partially cracked it, there was peeping going on!!!!! I ran back inside with it and peeled away most of the egg and put in back in the incubator. Looked like it was struggling to get all the way out, so I helped it get totally out of the egg and put it under the brooder light. This morning, it is fluffed out and eating and drinking like a happy little soul!!! You just never know!!!!! I'll have to think of a good name for this chick!!!

Last edited: Sep 21, 2009
  9. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    chicks hatched under a hen can take more time than in an incubator because things are not regulated as well. I had one hatch at 24 days. But I also had 2 that couldnt get out so I helped them but they didnt survive. I wouldnt do it again, if they arent strong enough to get out they may not survive, its just nature. Hope you have a good outcome.

10. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    Hope the little bugger works it's way free!

I help if it becomes necessary - helped chicks are often fine and need help not because they are weak but because HEN or HUMAN made a mistake. Hens do sometimes fail to properly turn eggs. Hens sometimes get off too frequently, hens do sometimes injure eggs or lose track of one and cool it for awhile, slowing it's hatch.

Humans and artificial incubation also make mistakes. Not really the chicks fault. Too hot, too cold, too dry, too wet. I've had helped chicks go on to be some great birds.

It's a personal choice. And here it depends on the "value" of the chick. Is it a test egg? Or a 10$ egg? Is it the layers flock, or the Marans, Delawares or Sizzles/Silkies. Because they have differing value.

I don't always help, but when it suits me, I do, to good success.

It really is all about what you want, need, value. There is NO wrong choice.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by