1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Quick rooster "dance" question

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by TAMMACLEAN, Sep 9, 2012.

1. TAMMACLEAN

TAMMACLEAN Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2012
    Maine
    I have a couple of chickens that I'm on the fence about. I'm just wondering if my rooster knows the difference. I have a silkie rooster that will "dance" for these couple of chickens. Does he just "dance" for any chicken or do rooster know if the chicken they "dance" for is a girl?

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Hmmmm...I've had one (two actually) dance for me. But at least I'm female...lol. Thinking back, I've never seen one dance for another male chicken. I'll be interested to hear others' experiences.

3. TurtlePowerTrav

TurtlePowerTrav T.K.'s Farm

Jul 29, 2012
    Oregon City, OR
    My Coop
    They will dance and even mount a young cockerel to show dominance.

4. TAMMACLEAN

Apr 1, 2012
    Maine
    Interesting....

5. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I've heard of the mounting to show dominance, but never heard of courting w/the dance... I'm glad I've only been courted...hehee.

6. TAMMACLEAN

Apr 1, 2012
    Maine
    Yea. I have a sizzle rooster that dances for everyone who goes out to say hi to him. As well as an EE rooster that does it too. Chickens are so funny.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by