quick silkie question

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by ninny, Jan 19, 2010.

1. ninny

ninny Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    IL side of the QCA
    How big are their eggs? I can't decide if i want to get back into breeding them. They are my favorites though. I would need them to be more then cute. Would they make good layers? How about meat birds? Or how would i get rid of birds im culling.

2. Shared Acres

Shared Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2008
    Northeast Fla
    My girls lay about an egg every other day. It's a small egg. We cook with them no problem.

They are a black meat, black skinned and boned bird, so you might not want to eat them. But that's up to you.

Culling--sell on craigslist.

3. jimnjay

jimnjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bryant Alabama
    All the Silkies I have had in the 4 years have laid everyday for 14-20 days then gone broody. They raise babies and then take about three weeks to start laying again. It works out three weeks on and 6 weeks off year round. I do have one little girl now that lays for around 5 weeks before going through the process.

I know Silkie meat is a gomet item in New York but I can't see it on my table. The dark skin and meat would not be appealing to say nothing about not being very much of it. The Size of the eggs are surprisingly large for a small chicken. They would most likely weigh in at small in the grocery store.

If you are looking for productive birds get Faverolles

4. Mandalina

Mandalina Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    Savannah,MO
    my silkie lays small eggs but they are good. mine lays every other day for a month then gets broody for 2 weeks, then goes back to laying every other day...and you get the pic.

call me nutty but i want to breed them too bc they are so darn cute and soooo friendly. i love the breed lol, even if they arent the best layers and not the greatest to cook.

5. emzee

emzee Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2009
    My silkies don't lay at all in the winter, even with artificial light. During the rest of the year they lay about 2 eggs a week. They're pretty small, but not super tiny.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by