Quick story & a couple of questions about taming Mom and 3 chicks*pics

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by DarkUnicorn, Jun 24, 2008.

1. DarkUnicorn

DarkUnicorn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2008
    Walden, NY
    I have such a nice neighbor, a local farmer, who is a true sweetheart.....

He knew we were building a coop and getting a couple of chicks, the place I was dealing with well kinda ticked me off and I cancelled.

He has been overrun by chicks this year and gave me a Mom and 3 chicks.

Mom's wild thou, has always been allowed to roam and not really handled. She is also VERY protective of her chicks. I want to tame the chicks by hand, they are about a week old but how wen Mom won't let me or my boys near without a fight!

I don't mind Mom hen being a bit wild I will take my time with her.

Best suggestions for the chicks?? Should I seperate them or just be really patient?

Thanks for any help.

These are the three little chicks, I kinda like the one in the front, two have some feathering on the legs:

[​IMG]

This is Momma, she has a big bald spot on her head and a swollen red ankle.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 24, 2008
  2. Acre of Blessings

Acre of Blessings Canning/Sewing Addict

Apr 3, 2008
    Axton, VA
    Well, its hard for me to say but, I would maybe get her a companion hen or 2 but It will take time with the chicks and the mama hen. Just be patient I guess is what I'm trying to say.
    Go out and sit with them in the yard when you can and talk with them and feed them out of your hands and I think eventually they will get used to you.

3. Eggseronious

Eggseronious Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2008
    East Tennessee
    All animals are creatures of habit. Start feeding her by hand it may take time, give her and the chicks feed this way. You may have to scatter a bit on the ground in front of you to start with.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by